New Dishwasher having air gap overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

Chitowngreeny

Reaction score
I recently just had a 15 year old dishwasher replaced with a new GE dishwasher. I never had any air gap overflow issues with the old dishwasher. The previous installation was connected to an air gap, so the installer connected the new dishwasher in the same manner. I live in Chicago so i "think" an air gap is still required per code (or a high loop i'm sure). Regardless, during certain drain cycles on the dishwasher, the air gap will overflow water (about a cup or two) out the top of the air gap cap (without the decorative air gap cover on) and into the sink and counter. I say "certain" drain cycles because it doesn't happen every time...when it's a full drain cycle, the dishwasher pumps out thru the air gap just fine (pumps for like 15 seconds), but when it's a short duration drain cycle (where the dishwasher only pumps out for 3-4 seconds) then it overflows.

Other facts...
- the drain line from the dishwasher to the air gap was replaced new.
- there is nothing clogged in this new drain line and I connected some plastic tubing to the top of the air gap (without the cap on) and let it drain from the air gap into the sink to see if any debris was in there.
- I do have a garbage disposal, but drain line #2 (coming from the air gap) does not connect to the disposal inlet underneath the sink...it has it's own dedicated connection into the wall with a P trap.

is it possible that during a "short duration" pump out of the dishwasher, the water draining from the air gap into the drain line #2 doesn't have enough head pressure to "push along" the water already in the P trap, and thus backs up?

Also, should I just connect the air gap drain #2 line to the disposal inlet as most air gaps are connected? If I do that, how do I cap the previously used drain pipe once I remove the rubber hosing? I don't want to leave it open and create a drain vent underneath my sink!

any help would be great...thanks so much!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have bad luck with air gaps bought at a hardware store.
I use the Dearborn airgaps from the plumbing supply.

It's not the pressure from the dishwasher, it's draining by gravity downward once it hits the air gap.

air_gap_dearborn.jpg

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you have not already, I would start by cleaning the drain downstream of the air gap. If the drain is restricted, the air gap will be the point of overflow.

Chitowngreeny

Reaction score
UPDATE: still having the problem...I've cleaned the drain downstream of the air gap and used Draino on the kitchen sink just in case it was a clog somewhere in combined drain pipe...but to no avail.

As I mentioned in my original post, the overflow only happens during a very specific cycle of the new dishwasher. After a normal drain cycle, there is still water in the line from the dishwasher to the air gap...that water sits there in the line during the next wash cycle...then there is a very short pump cycle (about 5 seconds)...it's this cycle when the air gap overflows...it's as if the flow during this 5 seconds is too much to "fit" in the outer ring spacing that is the drain downstream of the air gap...is this possible? Are there air gaps that have a taller core that would fix this? Or any ideas on what could still be causing this issue?

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also you need to check the drain hose from air gap to drain see if it is kinked or has some restriction in it, that is what is causing your problem

maybe when the installer was working he twisted the hose a little bit or
something like that

Chitowngreeny

Reaction score
UPDATE: I replaced the existing air gap with a Dearborn Air Gap I purchased...installed it...and everything works great now! Thanks so much Terry, and everyone else, for your help and suggestions! Next...leaky bathroom sink faucet...see new post shortly...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks