New Construction - DWV Layout

Users who are viewing this thread

scuba.man

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Building a new home here in eastern Ohio. As the homeowner I'm allowed to do my own plumbing. Please don't cringe...........

Can you give me feedback on my DWV layout? I have included two jpg's of the 1st and 2nd floor proposal? Be brutially honest! Gross errors, modifications, I'm open to all suggestions?

The layout is "green" for the drains and "blue" for the venting? I only used 2" and 3" pipe for my layout. Slopes are not built into layout but will be done during construction.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

First Floor:
Plumbing 1.jpg

Second Floor:
Plumbing 2.jpg

Master Bathroom Detail:
plumber 3.jpg

Laundry / Powder Room Detail:
plumber 4.jpg

2nd Floor Bathroom Detail:
Plumber 5.jpg

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Quite a few illegal flat vents, and I'm really enjoying the "vent" on your laundry stand pipe...

The stand pipe is already open to the atmosphere, you need to vent the drain line down stream of the trap.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Also, a vent must rise vertically (45* or steeper), until it is 42" above the floor or 6" above the flood level of the fixtures it is venting.

So for example, you cannot have a horizontal flat vent for a shower under the floor for 5' and then have it rise vertically.

scuba.man

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply!

I understand on the Laundry!

How does one vent a shower or bathtub which the drain sits out in the room without running horizontally? You can't come up through the floor?

Thanks again!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Typically the drain arm from a tub runs straight to the nearest wall...there it enters a sanitary tee, with the vent taking off vertically from that tee. A shower has the trap directly under the drain, and the trap arm runs to the tee in the wall. See your code book for maximum lengths of trap arms.
It may be necessary for someone to put a reality check on the misses if she has visions of some grand palace here. Inspectors will rarely allow deviations on the items which have been mentioned here, just because you think it is "TOO HARD" to do it the right way. It is ALWAYS possible to install a plumbing system to code. Often is not EASY or CHEAP! And architects/designers whether they be paid professionals, or you and the wifey, often design layouts which can not be easily installed.

So far, your big misunderstanding is vents. NOTHING less than 45º including the takeoff, until 42" above the floor. See code book for tram arm lengths. Vent comes after the trap. NO waste from second floor in a pipe which is venting first floor fixtures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks