New circuit added via rear knockout in service panel?

Users who are viewing this thread

roegs

Reaction score
My existing service (circuit breaker) panel is installed on an outside wall of our garage. The garage is not completely finished, but its sheet rocked and taped which makes pulling in new circuits difficult. The easiest way to connect our new 50A spa circuit to the panel is to run PVC conduit up the outside of the garage wall and then through the wall using an LB connector into a knockout on the rear (back) of the service panel. Basically, the new circuit will come into one of the knockouts on the rear (back) of the service panel instead of using knockouts on the bottom, side, or top. Is this an acceptable way to bring the new circuit into the breaker panel (vs. coming in the top / bottom or sides)?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is a knockout it is legal to use it. I like to select one that is not close to the feed which is usually live and uninsulated.

When I had to add circuits to a flush mounted panel with sheet rock around it I carefully cut out a section below the bottom of the cabinet, about 4" high and extending across an additional stud space on each side of the panel. Then I could enter the panel at the bottom and bore through the adjacent stud to go up or down for access the the floor or ceiling.

Enosez

Reaction score
I'd rather do some tape and spackle inside my garage than instal a conduit on the outside of my house.

Maybe its just me, but a house looks so much nicer without all of these obstructions attached to the outside.

roegs

Reaction score
I'd rather do some tape and spackle inside my garage than instal a conduit on the outside of my house.

Maybe its just me, but a house looks so much nicer without all of these obstructions attached to the outside.

Enosez...I’m with you and try to always conceal my wiring. If this was the only run on the exterior, I’d cut the sheetrock in the garage without thinking twice about it. In this case, there are already a number of external runs at this area of our home. The main service is underground and so I have a vertical run up the outside siding to the meter, which is directly behind the service panel. I also have other vertical conduits for phone, and cable access. The last is a ¾ inch vertical conduit that feeds into the back of the service panel for a 220V run to the pool pump. This was done by the previous owner. The run I’m proposing is the same as he did…up 4 feet of siding and then straight into the service panel via LB connector. Although the previous owner already did his circuit this way, I don’t always trust his work and that’s why I want to double check its okay to do another.

Last edited:

Enosez

Reaction score
Hey Roegs,

Is it possible to run a set of feeders in the way you mention or even through the gargae to a sub panel and then pull your circuits out from there.
You may also be able to get rid some of the other conduit running up the side of your house.
Nice neat install.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks