New Carrier Natural Gas Furnace - Noisy during ignition

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
Since I intend to sell my home when the market rebounds (hope I live long enough), I purchased a new Carrier natural gas furnace. I chose the least expensive as I am hoping to leave as soon as I can. Problem is it is noisy as heck, especially during ignition. The vibration is very pronounced and takes 30 seconds to ignite during the rumbling. I called the installing contractor and he basically said you got the cheapest Carrier and it makes noise. Any thoughts. He is coming out next week just to be sure the fan (housing) is not loose and said he is not replacing it even if it is defectively noisy.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this a closed combustion device? If not, normally, the only fan is the circulating fan. If they didn't use a noise isolating fitting between the furnace and the ductwork (it's in all of the installation instructions I've looked at, albeit not that many!), then it will transmit any of that vibration to the ductwork that can act like an amplifier.

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
A natural gas furnace will have a draft inducer motor that runs before the unit fires. If you hear noise duing the starting sequence, I would look at that little motor first. Maybe something is loose or the motor/fan combination is noisey. Could just be a loose screw or pice of sheet metal making noise.

The blower fan would not come on untill the unit fires and the control board has been signaled that it has fired. The draft inducer stops running after that as it's not needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks