New build in NY - How did I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

CatskillDan

Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time lurker - first time poster. I have always done my own plumbing, electrical, carpentry, etc... Jack of all master of none as they say. Well, I am building my own home in the Catskill Mountains of NY and I need to install the DWV system. Little did I know how many nuances go into it! Anyway, after some research and based on previous knowledge I have come up with a plan which I would like to humbly submit to you all for review. Some notes which will help clarify things...

- Yes, I have a building permit. My inspector / code official has little to say about the plumbing. So, being the perfectionist I am, I want to make it is close to acceptable to the more strict plumbing code (UPC?). It is my home anyway so I want to do it right and design it for the future, even though I won't have a formal inspection of the plumbing.

- It is a timber frame with SIP panels so, no plumbing on exterior walls. I have one wet wall I plan to run most plumbing in, aside from the basement / joist area which is traditional. So, this makes things more difficult / cramped but I think do-able.

- There is a full basement, first floor, and loft. No joists between the first floor and loft, I will build a chase to conceal future 1/2 bath loft plumbing.

- The kitchen sink is on an exterior wall not adjoining the wet wall, so I either need to do a loop vent, or an AAV. I would prefer to avoid the aav so I have some notes in my images about adding a loop vent tied in with other vents. I know it is not acceptable in some areas but if it would simplify my install considerably, I would use an AAV and be ok with replacing it when it fails down the road. Thoughts?

- My notes are hand written - I added as much detail as I could but there are some parts where I am probably missing something / not showing enough detail. I am really looking for a general "yes, this looks about right, be be careful here" or "you should never touch plumbing ever again". It is not to scale, and does not show proper slope.

So - what do you think - did I get close? Go easy on me!

For clarity - I am showing 3 views one set of hand written sketches showing my "plan" the other is 3 pictures showing those areas with some notes sketched in to help (or confuse?). Red is drainage, Blue is venting

basement 2.jpg
Basement l.jpg
first floor.jpg
basement joistlevel.jpg
basement levelview.jpg
wetwall.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm no plumber to evaluate your plans but one thing I would change if this was my home. Use only 2" & 3" pipe. 1.5" is the minimum for code but 2" everywhere instead of 1.5" for a few sinks and venting, It will keep your sanity for what fittings you need on hand & pipe to buy. Another is if you have the space place the washer and dryer at least on the first floor. Taking trips down basement steps gets awful tiring. Women love the washer/dryer nearer the bedrooms where all the laundry originates from.

BTW, I'm from LI and the Catskills was the vacation land for downstate people when I grew up. I still love it there.

CatskillDan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply... Yeah I am still considering just doing everything in 2" to make it easier but - we'll see. The place is small so no reasonable space for washer/dryer anywhere but the basement - the wife and I will deal with it!

Love it here, live in NJ technically but, transitioning to spending more time upstate.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look pretty good to me. A few comments:

- It's debatable whether an island loop vent is allowable for a non-island sink. So I would suggest sticking with an AAV, since it is allowable under the IPC, which I understand NY state uses. You can install the AAV within the kitchen sink cabinet, so it is accessible for maintenance/replacement.

- Your basement window, I see there's a couple I-joists terminating over it that have joist hangers. So is there a structural LVL rim joist there, spanning over the concrete cut out for the window? I ask because there's a dark vertical line that looks like it could be a rim joist butt joint, but LVLs also have those lines where a ply terminates near the surface.

- So you're wet venting the shower via the lav but dry venting the WC? Why not wet vent both via the lav? FWIW, the UPC wouldn't allow the shower to be wet vented downstream of the WC, but the IPC does.

- Is your "joist level" plumbing within the joists, or just below? If within, does the 3" long sweep / 3" 90 / 3" san-tee configuration actually fit within the joist bay?

- If it's convenient to run a dry vent along side the 3" upper stack, you could consider pointing the shower drain towards the window, take off a dry vent, and then change the 3" long sweep to a combo to bring the shower drain in on the horizontal there.

Cheers, Wayne

CatskillDan

Reaction score
Thanks for having a look Wayne. To answer your questions...

Thanks for the comments on the AAV - sounds like an acceptable solution, did not think a loop vent is not permitted on non-island sinks but an aav simplifies things anyway - I think I'll use one.

The whole house actually has LVL as rim joist, and it is doubled over the window so I am good with the hangers. You are correct, the dark line is a ply terminating. A few reasons for overkill here, simplicity being one, deck attachment on the outside being another, lack of experience on my end knowing where I could use what materials, and finally, time crunch figuring it all out.

I forgot about a vent for the shower actually, but could dry vent it easily as I did with the toilet, just worried about space in that stud bay, I still need to add the shower mixing valve and shower head termination.

Joist level I was thinking within the joists... they are 14" deep and 16" OC - wishful thinking maybe? I am trying to maintain headroom in the basement and keep things from hanging down below joists, especially by the window.

I could add a 2" dry vent next to the 3" upper stack but it might make other plumbing tasks difficult as mentioned... But I think I like the idea of draining the shower into a combo 3" as you mention - had not thought about that.

Thanks for your comments, glad I am close and I appreciate the comments - another set of eyes is helpful!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks