New Boiler Advise

Users who are viewing this thread

questseeker

Reaction score
I am in need of a new bolier , right now I have a 20 year old Well Mclain.

I called an indepentendent contractor still waiting on price quote.The two boilers he mentioned were Peerless or Burnham . I have oil heat, with water expansion tank we use the boiler for hot water as well.Please let me know from your expertise which boiler is more efficient/ better overall we have about 12 radiators in the house also if you have any idea around what you think the price would be around for the boiler and labor so I know I am not getting raked over the coals so to speak.

I was going to call my Oil Company to get a qoute , but noticed in the past when I need parts the prices were marked up do you think I should ask the for a quote as well?
Thank you in advance

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The cost of oil is never going to reach the affordable range again, and all oil boilers are oversized for typical NJ heat loads, sufficiently oversized that the (almost) never run at their rated AFUE.

Heat pumps, particularly ductless air source heat pumps (cheaper) and ground source heat pumps (ridiculous) are far cheaper to operate.

Before doing anything, get a handle on what your true heat load is at the 99% outside design temp for your area. If you have mid or late-winter oil bills with a "K-factor" stamped on it, that's a good place to start. If not, what's your ZIP code and how much oil do you use in a year? Does your boiler also heat the domestic hot water? (If yes, is that with an embedded coil, or is it an indirect tank)?

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
ACCA Manual J and the current cost-per-million btu for electric, propane and oil boilers with indirect (never tankless) domestic hot water. With old style cast-iron radiators outdoor reset and condensing boilers would be in order.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks