New blogger. How to wire a fan with light?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Molly d, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Molly d

Molly d New Member

I replaced a ceiling fan and light with a new one. I have two switches on the wall one for the light, one for the fan. Fan works. Lights work pulling on the chain, but not on the wall switch. I put white to white, green to green, black to red, black to blue. I don't have the the instruction. Please help if you can.
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

With the light on by pulling the chain will the wall switch turn it off?
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aparently you missed the wire from the light switch and connected the lights to a "hot" black wire. I do not know how you could have done that if you just removed one fan and replaced it with another one, but that is the only thing that makes sense, given your description. If both black wires were from switches, there is absolutely no way the lights could be on when both switches were "off".
  4. Molly d

Molly d New Member

No, it does not work turning it on or off.
  5. Homeownerinburb

Homeownerinburb New Member

Tough to say.

You have been turning the power off each time you open the system up?

Have you opened the switch box up and inspected how the switches are arranged?

Do so with the power off, please.
  6. hj

quote;Have you opened the switch box up and inspected how the switches are arranged?

What difference would that make? If he did not open it when he replaced the fan then nothing in the switch box has changed, and any "miswiring" has to be in the fan's mounting box.He has to find a "switched" wire, which may or may not be black, at the fan and disconnect the light from a "hot" wire.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  7. Homeownerinburb

Homeownerinburb New Member

I'm curious to see what is in there. I would certainly open it up if I were walking in at the top of the thread.

But if you have the solution please feel free to hand it over.
  8. hj

quote; But if you have the solution please feel free to hand it over

I have already posted the "solution" TWICE, but since I am not there I don't know how to tell him how to implement it without using a "Tic Tracer" to find the wire that is only energized when the switch is turned on.
  9. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

will either switch turn the light off. Does the light not work if the switch for the fan is off?