New Bathtub too deep for easy exit.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Rfsmith48

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am having a Homer Simpson moment.....

We recently installed a new Kohler tub. We did not do enuf test driving in the local showrooms, cause if we had, we would not have ordered a tub this deep. (20").

There are (at least) two solutions:
1. Some kind of filler to raise the bottom of the tub. Kohler could not help me on this idea.
2. Added grab bars to aid entry/exit. This should help. Does anyone have a map/sketch to show good
locations for the grab bars? Nice new tile means that I have to figure out how to mockup this solution.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Rog Smith
720 326 7296

Reach4

Reaction score
Regarding the grab bar, I would go vertical in line with the wall of the tub to help with climbing over the tub deck. I would expect this bar to be on the shallow end. Another grab bar could be on the far wall at an angle with the high end closer to the shower.

I used "deck" after reading http://www.everybathtub.com/glossary-of-bathtub-terms-and-definitions.aspx There should be a better term I think.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My mother is in her 80's and she had her home evaluated by a safety expert. One of the recommendations was to install a safety bar at the valve end of the tub to aid in getting in and out. It should be vertical and easily reached while getting both in and out of the tub. I have a similar tub, and while I'm not as old, installed one if anyone visited where it could help. I ended up using a longer bar to aid both youngsters and taller, older people to use it. My mother's is moderately short, but at a good height for her to easily reach.

One thing that makes retrofitting a safety bar easier is if you can do it without having prepped the area with blocking is the fasteners made by www.wingits.com . I also noticed one version of these was sold at HD. I've used two different types of theirs, and they work quite well. They are ADA rated by just going through the wall. If you happen to hit solid wood, you can just use screws, but the WingIts make it easy and safe if you don't. This allows maximum flexibility of where you can install one.

FWIW, while people do put bars on an angle, things tend to be safer when they are horizontal. A wet hand, especially an elderly person who may not have much grip strength, will end up having their hand slide down an angled one, especially if covered with soap. That last part won't be an issue when getting in or out of the tub, so a vertical one is much easier to grip while doing that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks