new bathtub installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Notahandyman

Reaction score
We have a '70's bathtub - one piece fiberglass unit (yikes!) in a 3 wall alcove, & want to replace with a cast iron tub & marble surround, but our tub measures only 58'' instead of the standard 60''. Is this normal to only have 58'' or is that 2 inches I need somehow hidden in the wall? I don't want to get into a whole bathroom remodel, just put in a decent bathtub.

Thanks,
Notahandyman

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When you pull the fiberglass tub out, you should have 60" from stud to stud.

What you are seeing, is the thickness of the nailing flange and drywall and mud, times two.

Notahandyman

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry! That's a relief to know there is a couple extra inches available there.

Another question....

Will the flooring have to be reinforced for a cast iron tub? And how difficult would that be?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

Don't measure the tub, measure between the walls above the tub and add 1". If the floor does not support a cast iron tub, then you do not want to spend any time in the room below it either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks