New Bathtub Drain Connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Tship

Reaction score
I just installed a new cultured marble bathtub and have the drain lined up with the tub ready to connect..The drain under the tub is plastic.... pvc I assume..The drain coming from the bath is metal..What should I use on the threads to help insure that it will not leak..Can I use thread tape in this situation, or something else????? thanks tship

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
cultured marble bathtub

Before you go and use the putty, check the manufacturer's instructions...
Some cultured stone and most real stone I know of can be damaged with plumber's putty and they recommend silicone....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This would be the ticket!

Sta Put® Ultra
A unique, professional grade non staining plumber's putty that is safe for most types of plumbing fixtures and surfaces. Unlike all other plumber's putty Sta Put Ultra is oil-free and can be used without pre-treatment. This includes natural, porous surfaces such as stone, marble, granite, plastics, rubber, and fiberglass, as well as grout and on manufactured sinks, shower bases, countertops, and other surfaces. Molds easily, remains permanently soft, malleable, and flexible. Sta Put Ultra does not melt, rot, crumble, dry out, or shrink. Easy to clean-up. Does not leave a greasy residue on hands or surfaces. Meets or exceeds Federal Specification A-A-3110 (formerly TT-P-1536A).

Last edited by a moderator:

Tship

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys....Saved me some grief-I would have used the plumbers putty....This site is amazing-to think how many people I have talked to at the big box home improvement centers-and half (or more) don't know either....BUT I DON'T KNOW THEY DON'T KNOW.....Tom

jone54557

Reaction score
I just installed a new cultured marble bathtub and have the drain lined up with the tub ready to connect..The drain under the tub is plastic.... pvc I assume..The drain coming from the bath is metal..What should I use on the threads to help insure that it will not leak..Can I use thread tape in this situation, or something else????? thanks tship

http://www.chinasink.com/stone-bathtub.htm learn more about bathtubs

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That last post made my laptop want to barf...

spam.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks