New bathroom venting questions - w diagram

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiton

Reaction score
A) have exposed 2" vent pipe inside of bathroom showing.
B) have vent in wall but elbow it out into room up about 6 feet off the ground to get it around roof rafters.

I am in the same boat with a bathroom reno.
As Terry once said about the plumbing in my old house,
there is nothing that is right here

Locally, I can use 1.5 for the vent portion, can you use 1.5 for the vertical section of the vent in NH?
Maybe you should consider building a small box around the vent pipe.
I will have to do the same. It is impossible to add a vent to my bathroom (nothing was vented in house) the way the walls were built, so when I gut the bathroom, I will have the vent line run vertical inside the wall to the ceiling and then horizontally out of the bathroom in a small box.
Pain in the a$$ but there appears to be no other way and it has to be vented. Sounds like the same deal for you.

Now if only they invented Wiremold for plumbing vent lines :(

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Question: is it allowed if a vent extends up 6" above a sink, then turns down below the sink on its way to the vent stack?

I would not even bother trying to do that.
It sounds like you need to pull more wall board off to do the plumbing here.
Don't be lazy about it.

Lazy doesn't get permission.

Last edited:

zx6e

Reaction score
Pulling wallboard wasnt what I'd jump to do but I would if there was a decent way. Unfortunately, where this wall was placed, at end of dormered garage space but also bolted into a smaller roofed porch, and particularly because I have a double 2 x 10 roof rafter running exactly over the 2x4 wall means I can't or won't cut right through my outer main roof supports.
So that's why I was trying hard to get it to either the short right knee wall or even the left shower wall would be okay too.
Or I'm looking at ugly handyman solution like Kiton it seems. Too bad about the island vent no no for a bath.

Kiton, I forget but I think I can use 1.5" pipe there, but will have to check my notes from local plumber. But, yes, looks like I'm going to have to run it out the floor straight up on inner wall. Will place it right next to lav vanity (a custom size built job most likely), and then upwards outside vanity. I will probably place a hand built bookcase / shelving type thing to shield the vent tube from casual eyeline.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yea......ah....not unless you have a blind or stupid inspector lol. Although I read you are in Mass, so perhaps an envelope with a couple Benjamin's in it will get the job passed lol

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A shower trap can can be five feet to the vent.
A toilet can be six feet.
Sometimes you can take advantage of that distance, and find a wall to bring them up in.
A lav trap arm can be 42"
The 2" pipe in the wet portion can be used as a wet vent for other fixtures in the bathroom.
Any pipe at 45 degrees is considered vertical, so there may be ways to jog around wood.
I also would not be cutting doubled up 2x10's

Last edited:

Kiton

Reaction score
.........Or I'm looking at ugly handyman solution like Kiton it seems. .......

I will probably place a hand built bookcase / shelving type thing to shield the vent tube from casual eyeline.

Where there is a will, there is way. It does not have to be ugly.
You would need to be on a ladder (or be 6' 6") to see the box in my case and it will be made of the same wood as the cabinet it runs on top of, completely out of sight. Pain to do, but at least the bathroom will be properly vented for the first time.
And it wont be ugly.

Last edited:

zx6e

Reaction score
image.jpg
You're right. Doesn't have to be ugly. Since I think I'm stuck here I'll strive to make my vent hidden with custom covered with shelving etc...

Probably have to resort to something like this latest plan, with exposed vent inside of room wall. Unless there's some other way I don't know about.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Too bad about the island vent no no for a bath.

Where did that rule come from? An island loop vent, if installed properly, does not know what is draining in to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks