New Bathroom Venting, One 3" Vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello,
Is it possible to vent a bathroom with one 3" vent and not have to tie the sink and shower in at a point other than the main 3" line?

The plan is to install a new bathroom and connect the sink and shower into the 3" line for the toilet, and take the vent off a point on the 3" line only.

Thanks for any help,
Bill

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you want a "handyman" job, go with the AAVs, but if you want a properly functioning one, install proper vents. You are assuming AAVs are an approved device in your area, which may NOT be the case. It might also make a difference WHERE that "point" you take the 3" vent off is.

Molo

Reaction score
-Not sure, but the 3" vent would need to come off downstream of where the sink and tub connect to the 3" drain, correct?

-Again, I'm wondering if upsizing the sink and tub drains to 3" after their traps would be acceptable.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Again, I'm wondering if upsizing the sink and tub drains to 3" after their traps would be acceptable.

That could be the "worst idea" you ever had because the larger pipes would lose their 'self scouring' function and could clog up, and once they did you would have NO WAY to insert the larger snake to clear them. With AAVs the 'single vent' in the system is supposed to be connected at the 'far end/highest point" in the system.

Molo

Reaction score
quote; Again, I'm wondering if upsizing the sink and tub drains to 3" after their traps would be acceptable.

That could be the "worst idea" you ever had because the larger pipes would lose their 'self scouring' function and could clog up, and once they did you would have NO WAY to insert the larger snake to clear them. With AAVs the 'single vent' in the system is supposed to be connected at the 'far end/highest point" in the system.

Good point HJ. Can an AAV be used on the tub? I'm assuming it can't be placed in the basement where it could freeze, and it would need to be accessible. Not sure what the maximum height above the trap would be...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks