New bathroom sink is off center and up from the exiting P-trap

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by shadyones, Sep 3, 2010.

1. shadyones

shadyones Plumber Wanna Be

The new vanity ended up with sink drain being 7 inches to right and top of p-trap aligned to bottom of sink drain,

I move the p-trap to sink drain then added flexible length to join exit pipe (in wall) after rotating exit pipe so the curved end of exit pipe is now facing right.

The new design just doesn't look right and I want to avoid the suggestion by neighbor to put three p-traps in series to form a flowing pipe assembly.

Any ideas on a better design?
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Can you post a picture...

Your wording has me saying huh... But I would avoid flex lines myself.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

We need a picture....but I assure you that since the word "flexible" is in your description, it is poorly done, and there is a better way! Please post a photo.
  4. shadyones

shadyones Plumber Wanna Be

I abandoned the flexible pipe idea. It just didn't look right.
    Exit in the wall is only 7 inches lower than the bottom of sink. And the the sink drain is 7 inches left of the exit in the wall. The pipe from the wall extends out 9", the same distance the sink drain is from the wall. Adding the p-trap causes a big gap that I am not able to connect to the exit pipe without creating a "S". Is it okay to drop the P-trap below the exit pipe, say 7 inches and then back up avoiding the "S"?
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

We would really like a picture. If you are creating a "deep" trap, that is something that will always tend to drain slowly.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A plumber could fix your drain problem, PROPERLY, in a matter of minutes. Do NOT use "three P traps in series", do not use a "flexible" connection, especially if it means you turn the trap on its side. and do NOT make a deep trap.
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You could likely cut the stub coming out of the wall, but there may be many simpler ways to do it...without seeing it, it's hard to tell. Note, the p-trap does not have to be straight with the trap arm...the trap could have the loop say go left, and the trap arm come out of it going right. After the trap arm, you want to limit the angles, but coming in and out of the trap, it's not as big a deal.