New Bath/Shower Valve Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

TWB

Reaction score
I just installed a new Kohler bath & shower faucet. The system is a single handle pressure balancing valve also new Kohler. Here’s the problem. When I turn on the water to full hot everything works fine, the water comes out the tub spout and no water comes out the showerhead. But as soon as I turn the handle back down to warm or cold, water starts coming out the showerhead and continues out the tub spout. The pressure out of the showerhead is not full pressure but about ½ flow. Does anyone have and ideas? Thanks for the help in advance.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've seen various devices on water heaters which reduce the flow of water. I would suspect that this may be the case and you get more water flow on your cold side than on your hot side.

So I would guess it is not a problem with the valve itself, but that when there is more water flow, then water starts to come out of the shower head.

Try unscrewing the bath diverter spout and see if the problem still happens. Maybe there is something restricting the flow with the bath spout?

Also go to a sink and turn on the hot full blast. Then turn it off. Then turn on the cold full blast. Do you get more water flow with the cold than with the hot?

TWB

Reaction score
Billy_Bob.....Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them out tomorrow when I go and work on the bathroom.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
On many tub/shower valve installations the amount of back pressure in the pipe supplying the tub spout is critical. Does the tub spout have the diverter in it, usually a pull up button? If this was piped with PEX tubing it would be the problem and you should have the installing plumber come back and fix it! They need to be installed with copper pipe.

TWB

Reaction score
The tub spout does have a diverter in it. It is piped with 1/2" Copper. The manual does say "only connect a non-restricted flow spout to an uncapped spout outlet. Do not connect restricted flow devices unless the shower outlet on the valve is capped." The spout has a diverter but is not a low flow spout. Any thoughts? I rechecked the valve it is installed correctly. I even removed the tub spout completly and tested it. I had the same results. Could the valve be faulty?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Get a pressure gauge that screws onto an outside hose bibb and check your water pressure. It should be 80 PSI. or less. If the tub piping is correct excessive pressure/flow could cause your problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flow

If it happens without the spout attached, then you have some sort of restriction in the line between the valve body and the spout outlet, but we cannot tell what it could be, since you did use copper for that connection. How far is it from the valve to the spout and is it a straight run downwards?

Plumber Jim

Reaction score
Website
www.broomfieldplumber.com
Have you checked to make sure you have it piped correctly? I sounds like you hooked the hot and cold lines to the connections for the shower and spout and the hot and cold to the spout and shower. basicly the valve body would be 90 degrees off.

TWB

Reaction score
From the center of the valve to the center of the tub spout is 8”. The manual says it can be 7”-18”.

TWB

Reaction score
The piping is hooked into the correct valve inlets/outlets. The valve is not turned 90 degrees. The valve is marked TOP and it is on the top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks