new bath drain connection --- help!

Users who are viewing this thread

stamp

College Professor
Reaction score
Website
www.cs.sjsu.edu
I removed a bathtub and now I'm ready to install a new tub and new drain. The drain pipe that I have access to is 1.5" thin metal, like something you might see under a sink. It was threaded but apparently when removing the old tub, I damaged the threads. I've attached a picture (hopefully), which isn't very good, but should make it a little clearer.

I really really really don't want to rip up the floor, so my question is, how can I securely attach a new pipe/drain to this? I've only got about an inch or two that I can reasonably access and even that is below the level of the floor. Thanks.

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 299

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
What you have described is a tubular size brass tailpeice which is part of the waste and overflow kit. You will need to get down to the actual drain pipe and start fresh from there, It will only be 2" lower than the tubing that you have already exposed.

stamp

College Professor
Reaction score
Website
www.cs.sjsu.edu
followup questions

OK, I might be able to do that, but how would it be attached at the "2" lower" point, and what do I need to do to remove it, and what should I then attach? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks