New Banging Noise

Users who are viewing this thread

urbanjo1

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an issue that began after living in my house for 14 years... The pipes began banging in one area of the wall in the living room, only after the HOT water is turned OFF. Turning the cold water off anywhere does not cause any banging noise. The banging occurs only AS the hot water is turned off in the kitchen on the first floor from the sink/dishwater/powder room. It can be the hot water that is turned off in either of the second floor bathrooms. It is only the hot water that causes the banging. This began a few months ago after living in the house for 14 years, never had any plumbing noises at all.

So far, I have replaced the bathroom toilet valve and flap assembly in the toilet directly above where the noisy wall is located. I have just replaced the cartridges for four faucets free from MOEN. I have put an arrestor on the toilet, and the hot and cold water of the wash machine. I have a second toilet on the same level as the other one but have not replaced anything in that toilet as it doesn't appear to be leaking. I have not replaced the cartridges for the valves in each of the 2 showers as I can not, for the life of me, find the water shut-off valves for either of them. I have drained the water from the second floor twice to no avail, hoping to eliminate any air bubbles in the system.

Can any of you help with suggestions as to what the cause of this banging noise is caused by?

Thank You,

Reach4

Reaction score
How many bangs per turn-off? If 1, you need water hammer arrestors.

For older houses with pipe sections performing that function as shown in the picture, draining the water replaces the air that has been lost.

If you are getting a series of bangs, that is something else.
Primitive-Water-hammer-arrestors.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hot water only?
Have you checked for heat traps on the water heater?
Sometimes those have ball checks. They have been known to fail.

urbanjo1

Reaction score
What is that exactly? Where would I find it and how do I check it?

Also, I have a new hot water heater I purchased a month ago, yet to be installed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What is that exactly? Where would I find it and how do I check it?

Also, I have a new hot water heater I purchased a month ago, yet to be installed.

In the pipe nipples at the top of the tank.
Installing your new water heater may be the fix you are looking for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks