New Back-to-Back bath layout

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason502

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Jason in Louisville, KY. I have been reading through the forums for a while working on my 115 y/o house.
I am creating 2 new bathrooms on the 2nd floor as shown in the attached and have a couple of questions I would really appreciate some help with. I am currently putting down new plywood and building the wall between the two baths.

As shown, I am trying to avoid having to drill through any 12'6" spanned 2x8s and have located a staggered wall to allow a 3" vent to transition to a waste line and travel parallel to the joists ultimately dropping down into a soffit around the staircase.

I have vents shown for all the smaller lines (sinks will be tied back into vent in wall, tub and shower will tie in above the ceiling in the attic) but am unsure of the 2 WCs.

1) Is my wet vent set up sufficient for the toilets?

2) I don't know how I will put clean outs, but I will be at horizontal under both toilets and again after the drop below the joists into the soffit.

Any advice/critique would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Last edited:

Jason502

Reaction score
I have done more research and realize that I didn't provide a very good initial plan. I have updated drawing to show wyes where the drain lines will connect in the joist bay.
dwv-Model.jpg DWV2.jpg
This seems do-able to me, but would appreciate feedback on:
1) the venting (or lack thereof) for the toilets. Wet vent shown in red.
2) waste moving through multiple wyes on a horizontal run. should this be a concern?

Last edited:

Jason502

Reaction score
90 views, and no replies. At a minimum, I expected a "this is awful, call your plumber." :) I plan to do that, but the walls are going up this weekend, and are dependent on this 2 bath layout working. Otherwise, I revert to a one bath.

My main concern was the wet venting of the 2nd toilet. I am going to increase the vent of the shower to a 2", and I am hoping this will suffice to vent the 2nd toilet as well. I really don't want to drill through these 115 year old over-spanned joists.

Jason502

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply hj. I appreciate it. I was thinking that the shower vent going up the wall which is 6 feet north of the "north" toilet could act as a vent (assuming I increase the size to 2"). If not, do you see any easy fix within the constraints I have here?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks