New American Standard Dual-Flush Reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Machabs9

Reaction score
First post.
Can anybody comment on the new American Standard Dual-Flush toilet. I hear it's fairly new and the price almost half that of the Cadet3. It includes the slow close seat and both 3L and 6L flush looked impressive.
What's the catch?
Any reviews good or bad out there??
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The link for the reviews is here

American Standard Flowise Dual Flush

attachment.php

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
But why would you trust a brand that has become famous for poor design and poor construction quality? You can do so much better for not much more money.

Machabs9

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Terry. I didn't see this older thread on my own.

Complaints seem to generally be known trade-offs with dual-flush and this flushing technique - such as low water height in bowl, water dumping from above to push waster out as oppose to a suction, no gurgling. These can all be overlooked given these are intentional and achieve good water savings in my opinion.

More useful info would be would be how this dual-flush compares to other dual-flushes. Anyone?
This toilet costs ~$200, while Cadet3 are $400 and Toto seem to be $500+, at least in my part of Canada.

Are there known problems with this toilet?
On the surface, this seems like very good value - unless you are an American Standard toilet hater.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any product that requires multiple trips to get a complete toilet without defects will be passed over by professional plumbers.

I don't know very many plumbers anymore willing to "give" that much of their time on unpaid trips to get it right.

You can call it hate, others might just value their time.
It's hard to charge, if you are off driving around waiting for replacements.
Homeowners only like to pay you for the work they "see" you doing.

I think you should be fine with it.

Last edited:

Machabs9

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I've listened and was swayed... I ordered a Toto Aquia II (dual-flush) and a Toto Eco Drake, to go along with a One-piece AM Compact Cadet-3 they was previously ordered.

Toto prices were actually similar to the Cadet-3 family and I couldn't ignore the strong favourable (we add a 'u' here in Canada) opinions on Toto overall - in this forum and elsewhere.

I'll run my own consumer report in the coming month and report back.

Paul111

Reaction score
Flo-wise has drawbacks IMO

I purchased this toilet after exhausting my options (Champion 4 defective castings X2... one was so warped the tank was offset 15 degrees from verticle... the other one had ceramic slag deposits glazed into the trapway)

I finally chose this model because the base looked streamlined and easy to clean. It advertised superior bowl wash.

Advantages of this toilet
- it looks nice
-the flush is reasonably quiet

Disadvantages
- Flush buttons are unsanitary in my opinion and over time could actually be a well for germy activity
- poor bowl rinse
- 4 inch band above was jets has a concave lip on the underside which traps spashed materials creating odor as well as unsanitary conditions... they don't rinse clean from flushing
- 4 inch band in inner bowl requires a lot of cleaning... if there are frequent users
-bowl spash is a problem
-the #1 half flush leaves urine in the bowl and can create odors over time
- the slow close seat and lid keeps coming loose and shifts to one side... hazzardous..ouch!

In general, I would not recomend this toilet. It appears to be modeled after a Caroma model. I have seen a relatively new similar Caroma in a restaurant washroom and after about 1 year, it was an absolute mess. With the constant cleaning required to keep this flo-wise in good order, I suspect any water savings you may realize from the low flush, will be cannibalized by the copious amounts of water required to keep it clean and fresh.

Conversely, I have a Water Ridge 6 litre model in my ensuite that is better in every regard than the flow-wise (funny because the Water-ridge is supposed to be a low end toilet)

Flow- Wise 3/10

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks