New 220 4 wire stove and old 220 three wire plug

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Wardsweb, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

Exactly. And the GROUNDED circuit conductor is the neutral. The "ground" is the grounding conductor.
    Big, BIG difference.
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Yea what Petey said and the green conductor can not be used here, period
  3. Wardsweb

Wardsweb New Member

Followup: the old wiring was removed. Good thing too, as it was aluminum. Nice new correct wire run and new recepticle installed. Like my father always told me, "there is only one way to do it...the right way."
  4. Lotus

Lotus DIY Junior Member

thanks for the clarification

good advice - my search got to this forum because I replaced an oven - both the new and old units had the neutral "white" cable bundled with the grounding "bare copper" cable running about 10 feet to the service box - I had heard that this was out of code and that I should change the wiring to a 4-wire set from the service box - but I had also heard it was a minor, non-critical issue

after reading this, i thought just rewiring it as before would probably be OK - I consulted with an electronics engineer friend who confirmed that, yes, sending an energized neutral into the grounding path is only very slightly risky - he did the math and said we should wire it up, apply power and test the unit with a voltmeter - sure enough, voltage between the oven frame and the kitchen sink is .7 volts
  5. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

And how much current or amperage was on this path?

Remember it is not voltage that does harm but amperage that kills!!!!!!

Find yourself a new electronics friend before this one gets you killed.