Never Throw a Water Heater Box away ~ Kids Love Them

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Dunbar Plumbing, Aug 4, 2009.

1. I've been replacing quite a few water heaters lately and I never pass up the opportunity to ask the parents if they want me to cut the box so it allows the kids to have fun with it.

You can go out and spend $100's of dollars on toys these days but give a kid a huge cardboard box and now you've got hours of fun with a knife, duct tape and anything you can find to stick to it.

These kids played with this box the entire time I was working on replacing their water heater.

This is the part of business that I enjoy being an owner, enjoying these cool moments of how such a simple gesture turns into fun.

I've seen many of these built and designed with some cool stuff. Last friday's call was just that; the father and his boy with his mom watching was designing all kinds of cool stuff on the front of the box.

Made the costly experience of replacing a water heater (close to $1000) definitely more enjoyable with the plumber showing the personable side.

Fun with Cardboard Boxes
  2. Cookie

Cookie .

Rugged, I just listened to your longest phone call you tube, and that is really funny... I got to ask you, how long did it last? and, is their a part 2? :) I am anxiously waiting to hear it. You should put it here, I didn't want to take the liberty. That could go down as a classic.

Almost forgot, those boxes make great puppet boxes, the kids would love it, they love boxes is right. Depending on their ages, too, they love to decorate and color them, and use stickers. That is nice of you, very considerate.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I usually cut a few windows and a doorway in them, the kids love the new play house. Bradford White has a nice white box so they can spend some time coloring it too.

Kinda funny but whenever I have set one up for the kids I have asked the parents if they wanted me to take the box and dispose of it but they always want to keep it.
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

In Boston the bums (sorry homeless) live in them :D
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

I have been doing the box thing with parents for years...Steve you are 100% right about kids loving them..
  6. Cookie

Cookie .

We are all just one foot step away from being homeless.
  7. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

I too been doing the box thing with the kids for years. They sure do love playing in them.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

box

I have NEVER had a parent ask for the box, and cannot remember ANY kids even showing an interest in them.
  9. Cookie

Cookie .

We used to have a parent who would rountinely bring in the boxes, some of them even larger for our headstart and K classes. If anyone here has kids in the younger classes, if you ask the teacher she will be thrilled to have them.
  10. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

If you unfold them and wax one side you can use them to work under your car. The wax makes them slippery so it's like you're sliding around on one of the those under-vehicle dollies.
  11. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

That settles it!
    There is something in the water in Arizona...:eek: