Neutral

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by ShockHazard, Dec 11, 2012.

1. ShockHazard

ShockHazard New Member

Installed a potters kiln today, 10.5kw, but only split phased (220v).

I have a red and black hot, green ground, but being the device doesn't receive a neutral, should I disregard it or match it to the ground?

What is the general rule of neutral coming in contract with ground?

Why would a 10.5kw device be single phase in the first place?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The pro electricians will answer up. I am pretty sure the neutral should ONLY ever contact ground at the main panel.

Most residences, and small commercial properties, are just wired for single phase 220. Plenty of residences that have for example a 60 amp electric heat air handler, on single phase.
  3. Glennsparky

Glennsparky New Member

Jimbo is correct. Put a small wire nut on the neutral and don't let it come in contact with anything.
  4. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

This is very correct my friend
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

220/240 v. power is "single phase", not "split phased". If the building only has single phase, then that is how the kiln must be wired. In order to be "three phase" the building would have to be served with three phase power. Then the unit would either need two elements with the "center" leg carrying about 1.75 times the amperage of either element, or multiples of three elements wired so all legs carried the same amperage. Without a 120 v. function the neutral is not needed and should be capped and disregarded.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

IF the unit has both 120 and 240 functions, it will need the neutral, otherwise, no. Sometimes, like in a stove, there will be a 120vac light, maybe some controls, and possibly a receptacle, so it will need a neutral but the heating elements would be fed from 240vac. No idea on your new kiln whether it needs 120vac and therefore a neutral - it should be clearly spelled out in their installation instructions or be obvious at the junction box where you connect things.
  7. ShockHazard

ShockHazard New Member

It does have a low voltage electronic control panel, but I don't know it's input voltage.

___

So, neutral was capped and kiln works fine.
  8. ShockHazard

ShockHazard New Member

Maybe I'm using the phrase wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power
  9. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I ( amateur electrical knowledge) have not seen the term split phase used like that. The sparkies will tell us if the industry and/or the electrical code uses that term. Anyway, we are talking about the same thing, whether we call it split or single
  10. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

With a few rare exceptions all power in North America is either single phase or three phase.

True Split phase power was part of era when electrical power systems were first designed.
  11. big2bird

big2bird IBEW Electrician

The only time you will hear split phase is regarding small motors with windings/capacitors that actually split the phase.