nesssary to tape joints on drywall?

Users who are viewing this thread

jpatz18

Reaction score
i am replacing 4x6 section of my wall, is it nessary to tape it and add joint compound even though i am going to tile right over it? if so would i need to add all those coats. i suck at joints.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I suck at joints too, but atleast it dosent need to look pretty since the tile will go over it. It is recommended to use mesh tape vs. paper, at least that was what I was told.
Good luck.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It the whole area is going to be tiled, don't bother using drywall mud to tape the joints...get some alkaline resistant tape for cbu, and slap some up there while tiling. Drywall in a dry area is fine for tile. Works great, lasts a long time. If painted, you could have problems, though.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't use any drywall compound, just fill it with thinset and the special tape for thinset (cbu) installs. You can do this while tiling, or, if you prefer, you can do it before then let the thinset cure. You might be okay if you used a setting drywall mud, but it's a little risky if you use the stuff premixed in a bucket as the added moisture when you do use thinset to tile could soften it. It somewhat depends on the size of the tile you are using...if the tile are big, they'd bridge the gap caused by the tapers at the edges of the board. If they are smaller, it is harder to get them to lay flat. in no case do you want to have a hump over that joint like you typically do when painting over it; the tile won't lay flat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks