Need your input. Noble TS - drop down shower

Users who are viewing this thread

01sesedan

Reaction score
Going to seal all seams tonight.

What could be used as capillary break? Does it have to be edging profile? Will the capillary break determine the floor tile layout.

Option A

20150309_212730-1.jpg

Option B

20150309_212834-1.jpg

Spacers came in.

20150310_081550-1.jpg

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Joe,

For starters The pools of water im seeing in left and right corners are of concern?...when the flood test plug gets pulled ALL water should drain....residual will dry out quickly. NO POOLS

The cappilary could be an L profile, It would be "Tied into" the TS closer to the threshold and at the top of the Grade where flat floor / pan grading meet ( in your case the point where you backed up and graded the floor about 6-12" outside shower drop.

It should essentially hold water up to that point.... & put the brakes on wicking.

If you go with option A of tile layout you can still incorporate a cappilary ...

cant wait to see your progress....Now about those pools of water?? LOL

01sesedan

Reaction score
That may look like pools of water but its not. The floor was covered with layers of moving blankets. That water is from the top layer of TS that was installed on the back wall. . After it was install, I went over it with a sponge it wipe it.

Don't have a good pictures. This will give an idea.

20150301_181519-1.jpg

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Oh Man !!!

You keep coming up with just the right answers!!! I have faith in you.....

Looking like a cool bathroom is on its way... I like tile choice... Crossville cross colors?

And clearly im a fan of all your material choices thusfar!!!

keep it up.... very cool...

01sesedan

Reaction score
Did a quick drawing. Not to scale but give a pretty good idea. I hope it looks close to this.

I would like to have 3 full tiles on the wall. That means I'll have a 2" gap by the floor in the shower. I don't know how a 2" strip off the floor will look. I'm trying to figure out a solution.

What do you guys think so far?

New Doc 9_1_20150310_183337.jpg
New Doc 10_1_20150310_183456.jpg
New Doc 11_1_20150310_183142.jpg

01sesedan

Reaction score
The mosaic also comes in 12x24. I'm just debating weather to fill the vanity wall to the top, full mosaic or an accent band around the bathroom.

If I go full mosaic, I'm going to order more. Original ideal was band. Bosses mind changed.

2015-03-10 19.03.12-2.jpg

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Florida good stuffs

consider 2 things.

closer to a 30% stagger bond? unless those tiles are perfect and you use a lippage system...

drop your bottom course of room Floor tile down to accomadate the bottom course in shower.

Problem: now your niche and footrest dont line up and you have to make a hard decision!

:Note to self.... next time place niche after tile and layout!

theres still hope. play with design and multiple layouts, more accents etc...

ideally you want a nice large piece at floor, pan, and ceiling, as well as full courses at niches.....

next time

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It looks like all of the boxes are from the same lot, but double check. There can be subtle texture/color changes between batches.

01sesedan

Reaction score
Was thinking of putting mosaic in the niche. Might go as far as modifying the niche so grout line match it..

I knew by starting the first row in the shower it would lower the rest of the bathroom. Not going to rush it. Too so much time to get waterproofing done. Now will spend time figuring out the layout.

I'll open up all the boxes and confirm they are flat. I've read even rectified tile may have a bow.

01sesedan

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks guys.

I've learned so much from JW and Red post, replies and blog's. Thanks to you guys for taking the time to educate us.

JW, I think you may be one of the few that goes beyond code. I've spent lots of time on your blog and gallery. They were very helpful.

Finding someone in my town I could trust to completely was tough. Mainly when it came to waterproofing. Some said it was not needed. Maybe I just didn't get lucky and found the right one.

He's the feedback I got.
• Just stud, plastic, durock, tile straight on concrete shower floor.
• Use Redgard or Aqua Defense. A couple coats, you're good to go. Mesh is optional.
• Noble, what is that?
• Heavy on selling the orange stuff. At a very steep price.

I figured if the install had some parts done incorrectly why pay for someone to screw it up. I might as well try it myself.

Last edited:

01sesedan

Reaction score
If the measurements don't change much, I'll have to keep the small strip at the bottom. Grout lines will push them up a little.

rHe0YaAXbRR75K3teS25aTbD-1.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If the measurements don't change much, I'll have to keep the small strip at the bottom.
That seems like a shame. Isn't there a good alternative to avoid the little pieces at the bottom?

01sesedan

Reaction score
The thought was to put mosaic above the vanity top all the way to the ceiling. Use it was a back splash.

We have a 4" x 60" piece of granite that was cut from the same slab as the vanity top. Also have a piece for the left side. Can't take a picture of the top. That sucker if heavy.

Just didn't want to put the granite back splash on top of the mosaic or tile. Doesn't look right.

I'll be searching the web looking for ideas the next couple of days. Might draw something up.

20150311_175032-1.jpg

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
No ........aluminum will work.

Its more about how and where you install it.

I would try to find SS or plated brass still.

span it from wall to wall and add a bead of sealant along corners as well as under the strip .

heres a rude sketch ....of how i would do it...

View attachment 28597

Last edited:

01sesedan

Reaction score
Makes sense.

Gonna try to hunt down ss amd plated brass at the supply house.

I'm going to put together the floor and wall layout. Not sure how the floor tile will look again the wall. Since the wall is horizontal.

Guess I'll their should be grout line every 12 inches.

Thanks for the input.

01sesedan

Reaction score
As for the tile on the shower wall/floor corner. Instead of a 2" x 24" strip, I thought of going this route

Install the tile on the bathroom floor first, place vanity with top, and use it as a guide.

This should let me know how high I can go with the 12x24 on the wall. At the drop down, fill the space between wall and floor with 3 or 4 multi-color mosaic strips. Also put the same amount of mosaic on the floor. Then finish the floor with 2" x 2" mosaic. It'll have a carpet look.

What do you think? Will having multi-color mosaic at the bottom screw up the look?

I'll dry fit the layout and post pictures..

01sesedan

Reaction score
Working slowly on the shower. Modifying the niche to fit full size tile. The original niche did not line up correctly. This niche will be narrower and taller.

Question. I'm running out of noble 150 and would have to order more. In trying to finish this weekend. The shop in town has kerdi fix. Have you guys used kerfi fix will noble wallseal/ts? Would it seal the seams properly?

I called Noble and tech support indicated 100% silicone may/might work but I would have to test it first.

Was also thought about using mapei hpg with mesh. Its also available locally in 1 gallon size. Price difference. Kerdi fix $27. Mapei HPG $40/gal. I already have 6" mesh.

Thanks for your help....

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks