Need Well Pump Setup Advice

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by chetwynd, Jul 12, 2007.

1. chetwynd

chetwynd New Member

Any help anyone can be would be much appreciated!

Essentially I'm a homeowner/contractor, but I don't do much plumbing.

In my yard I have a well of sorts...more like a reservoir, but it's a big 6' wide corrugated pipe buried in the ground, about 15 feet deep. It used to have a pump on top that sat on the lid sort of, and had a couple of pieces of PVC connected to eachother at the bottom...or maybe they weren't connected, I forget. Anyway, it was used to water the yard. I think I've since figured out that it only holds $26 worth of water (at 1/5th of penny per gallon, which is what I pay for water), but it does have a decent little spring that can refill it...but not quickly.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on what kind of pump to use, and how it would be set up with a foot valve or whatever it is. I'm kind of looking for specific advice, but maybe you can point me in the direction of a good source of info on this kind of pump set up. The areas that I would be watering are pretty much level with the surface of the water. Eventually I can get 220v out there, but for now it might be an extension cord. Is 220v better?

THANKS!
  2. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

2600 pennies X 5 = 13,000 gallons.

6' round X 15 feet = 3170 gallons.

3170 gallons / 5 = 634 pennies.

Assuming the well is full, the pump guys here can tell you the best way to water with a 3,000 gallon limit per watering.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

about how long does it take to refill?
  4. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

If in fact you did have that much water, a little 1/2hp sub or jet pump would give you plenty to water with. It all depends on how many gallons per minute you need for a sprinkler zone if you plan to install a system, or maybe you already have a system in place and you know how much you need per minute. If so, with that number in mind, I could size a pump.

bob...
  5. chetwynd

chetwynd New Member

thanks...more info

I think all I really need to be able to do is run a standard garden hose off of it. I might rig it up to a rainbird or two, but a 3/4" discharge line is probably all I need. During the summer it would take forever to refill, but the flow is constant, but very slow in the summer. I don't mind draining it though.
  6. speedbump

In that case, both of the above mentioned pumps would actually be too big for the job. I would try to run at least two sprinklers at one time.

bob...
  7. Mr_Pike

Mr_Pike New Member

Depending on how fast it refills, you can setup a Zone to Zone pause to wait for the well to refill. Some clocks also have a run / soak setting, that could limit the time the well pumps to like 10 minutes, and then soak (pause the watering to let the well refill) for like an hour.
    A Weathermatic Smartline has both these features, most clocks have the Zone / Zone delay.
  8. chetwynd

chetwynd New Member

still need advice...

I wanted to revive this thread and see if I can get a definitive answer or advice on what kind of pump to use for this. Thoughts?
  9. speedbump

The two pumps I mentioned are the two smallest pumps I have and are actually about as small as they get. The reason I said to run at least two sprinklers is that the pump will deliver more than what one sprinkler would use. One garden hose would run one sprinkler but not two I wouldn't think.

Take a look at these. The jets and the subs. Both 1/2hp.

bob...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2011