Need water softener help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Malinda

Reaction score
We recently bought a house that has a UV water filtration system and a water softener system. We are new to this system and I have done a lot of research and am unable to find a manual or how to for caring for the water softener system. I'm pretty convinced it needs salt cubes added. I did speak to a company that recently replaced a drain line but couldn't tell me the model (?) or anything other than the water should be anywhere from 8-10 inches deep. From what I can see that's about right, but there is very little salt in the tank. I did break up the bridge that had formed but I am leary of adding salt because I know basically nothing. She did tell me that there is a filtraiton system than could help with the egg smell, only $1900! Hopefully someone on this forum can help me out. So far it has been the most informative site I've been too! Thank you!

20160729_104333.jpg 20160729_104257.jpg

20160720_075400.jpg 20160720_073440.jpg 20160725_160848.jpg 20160729_104257.jpg 20160720_075400.jpg 20160720_073440.jpg 20160725_160848.jpg

Attachments

• 20160729_104245.jpg
    20160729_104245.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 223

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks like a Fleck 5600 12-day.
http://www.softenerparts.com/Fleck_5600_Valve_and_Parts_s/30.htm

For salt, I prefer pellets. Some prefer solar salt.

For the rotten egg smell, I have a system that uses Centaur Carbon. It removes iron also. There are other media for the purpose. Before getting treatment, I suggest a new lab water test. I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ It has the important tests for less money than most lab tests. It does not test for rotton egg smell (H2S). Your nose does that.

After you get your test kit on order, I would clean any debris out of the bottom of the brine tank while it is empty.

I would pour one 40 or 50 pound bag of pellets into the brine tank. I would tilt the pour so that some salt is out of the water. Why only one bag? What if it doesn't work? You then have 2oo pounds of salt sitting there.

Put about 6 gallons of water in the brine tank, and let it sit with the salt for 2 or more hours. Make sure the softener is not in bypass, and then case a regeneration. You can read about how in the manual that you find while the salt is sitting in the water.

Lots of info available.

If it does not work, you might want to consider a new softener. That softener is pretty small, and probably pretty old. The resin (the media in the closed tank) may be in bad shape. It may be in good shape. Your testing will tell.

Get a Hach 5-B test kit to test your softened water.

Last edited:

Malinda

Reaction score
Thank you so much I'll research this model. There was a bag of cubes left behind, I will give the pellets a shot.

Reaction score
Website
www.watersoftenerslab.com
Make sure you
Before getting treatment, I suggest a new lab water test. I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ It has the important tests for less money than most lab tests.

I agree with you.. It's a really good idea to test the level of water hardness before taking action with the treatment. This will save you a lot of money if you get it right the first time around.

Believe me, I've done that before. And it will cost you a lot than you're supposed to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks