Need water softener advice

Users who are viewing this thread

JY0

Reaction score
I'm in need of a new water softener. Old unit has malfunctioning valve and is 20 years old. I am considering a Fleck 5600SXT 64000gr 2.0cu/ft unit. I have Wife, 3 soon to be 4 kids in house. Three full bathrooms. Based on my water test, would it be wise to remove iron before softener, or can I get away with just softener? Also any softener settings for Fleck unit would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Wellwatertest.pdf
    76.5 KB · Views: 186

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Correct, looks like odor would be noticed at that level. A traditional softener should not to be used for odor control.

JY0

Reaction score
Also, will the softener be ok with the level of iron? Should I get special resin to deal with iron level? What product can I use for odor?

Reach4

Reaction score
Tough call IMO. Your sulfate is low enough that you probably don't have much of a sulfur smell. Sulfur smell would argue for the separate filter because it could handle both. If you don't put the separate iron filter in now, leave space for it to be the first thing after the pressure tank in case you decided to add that in the future.

12" x 52 is within the capabilities of a 5600SXT for backwashing, but I might opt for the 7000 for a few extra capabilities. If you went to a a 2.5 or 3 cubic ft unit, the 7000 would be needed.

2 cubic ft is undersized for 5 0r 6 people, but it would work -- just regenerate more often than the desired once per week or longer. http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/sizing.php

To compute your settings, the BLFC value (GPM) of the softener is needed. That should be on a sticker by the drain line.

edit: odor? What in the test predicts odor? Sulfate at 18 seems fairly low. Mine is 134 and I had sulfur smell. The iron+sulfur filter is a super improvement by getting rid of the smell and the iron. But your nose detects odor. That calls for the iron+sulfur filter. You might improve the odor with a well sanitizing, and softener anode change. I went to a powered anode.

Last edited:

JY0

Reaction score
I will check into a 2.5cu/ft -3.0cu/ft Fleck 7000SXT unit. I will probably install softener first, then install iron/sulfur filter at a later date. How does one size iron/sulfur filter?

Reach4

Reaction score
I will check into a 2.5cu/ft -3.0cu/ft Fleck 7000SXT unit. I will probably install softener first, then install iron/sulfur filter at a later date. How does one size iron/sulfur filter?
It would be nice if the http://www.watchwater.com/systems/kl_system.php calculator worked. Maybe somebody can find a way to use that. Maybe I was using it wrong. Maybe they have fixed it.

JY0

Reaction score
Would it be better option to install Fleck 9100 SXT 2.5cu/ft twin tank system over the Fleck 7000SXT 2.5cu/ft? My water use right now is much lower than it will be in 5 years when my children are older. Also, is it worthwhile getting US made resin? Thanks

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
With or without iron filter? Actually, I am not sure how that would change my thinking, but it should. Also, are you referring to two 2.5 cuft tanks or two 1.25 cuft tanks? Flow rate (SFR) plays a factor. If it has sufficient flow rate for you, the two 1.25 cuft tanks sounds nicer with iron, but I am not sure at all. In reality, the tanks would each regenerate a little less often than a single 2.5 cuft tank would, but maybe the period of time after regen but before use should not be considered toward keeping a maximum regen interval if treating iron. Clearly the dual tanks are nice if your household does not have a regular schedule.

For the iron +sulfur+more filtering, http://www.purewaterproducts.com/img/docs/manuals/Katalox-Light.pdf shows sizing is mostly determined by flow rate giving sufficient contact time, especially at your iron levels. I don't know of pre-configured systems that come with my controller of choice. Katalox Light is top iron+sulfur filtering media, and it is made in Germany.

Regarding resin, as far as I can tell from reading, Aldex, made in Canada, is also good resin. I don't know where most Purolite resin is made, but I expect they have good quality control. Their home page says they started as a resin importer. http://www.softenerparts.com/Resin_Carbon_other_Media_s/24.htm says the Purolite C-100-E is made in USA. I don't know where their premium SST-60, which is claimed to be better if processing iron, is made.

I am not a pro, and I am curious about this too.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The Fleck 9100 is a twin tank system which is best suited for installation where soft water is required on a constant basis. They are normally configured as two separate softeners so as the capacity of one tank is depleted, the alternate tank is immediately made active to supply the soft water requirements to the building.

Regeneration of the depleted tank may occur at any time of day since the soft water requirements are supplied by the alternate tank. Pressure loss maybe apparent during regeneration of the depleted tank.

A common single tank softener (ie: 5600, 7000) cannot supply soft water while at the same time regenerating capacity. This is entirely suitable for home use as regeneration is set to occur usually during the night when most occupants are sleeping and little water is being utilized.

While a twin system can provide slightly more usable capacity since reserve capacity is not required, that alone does not justify the additional expense in most home settings.

2) US resin is generally recommended since it is usually produced to a set standard. Imported resin may not adhere to those standards and may or may not provide the performance or longevity expected.

JY0

Reaction score
Sounds like the Fleck 7000 sxt with US made 2.5cu/ft resin unit will work then. I see there is a upper basket option. Is this needed with well water? Also, should I use morton iron out rust remover pellets with this unit to deal with my iron level? Thankyou

Reach4

Reaction score

JY0

Reaction score
I am also checking in to the Katalox light for iron removal. Do I buy the Katalox light media separately, or can I buy a system that uses Katalox light? When I google Katalox light filter, I only see media, not system to purchase.

Reach4

Reaction score
I see a couple places selling pre-configured systems with Asian controllers. I don't know what they would charge for an upgrade. But yes, you could buy the filter and media separately. You would want to do your own backwash rate calculations, and you want to lean to the high side on that. Note that the backwash rates involve cross section (square feet) rather than volume (cubic feet). Click Inbox.

Bannerman

Reaction score
If there is a supplier you are considering, you could inquire if they will supply a preconfigured Katalox system if they don't indicate otherwise.

Most iron removal media is heavy and so requires substantial GPM flow to backwash effectively. Katalox Lite is lighter than most and thereby requires less backwash flow while providing a reasonable maximum flow capacity.

Here is a link to a page which explains flow capacity and backwash requirements along with a chart comparing the maximum flow capacity and average backwash requirements for various media.
http://www.purewaterproducts.com/articles/backwash-chart

As the chart is pre-configured for a range of tank diameters, it is easy to compare sizes without having to perform math calculations. A 10" diameter tank will typically contain 1.5 cu/ft of media, 12" - 2 cu/ft, 13" - 2.5 cu/ft.

As your supply is your own well, you will need to investigate your well and pump capacities along with the plumbing feed to the filter's intended location, to ensure adequate GPM to backwash the size of filter you are considering.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks