Need water Now

Users who are viewing this thread

Capt John L

Reaction score
Ok. So I can fix cars, fishing poles and lawn mowers but I don't know anything much about submersible water pumps.
Here's my problem. I live in the country and made it mostly unscathed by Hurricane Matthew except tree broke the powerlines that run all the water and two houses on our farm and the neighbor.
It will be forever before they get our power on.
I want to run well with generator. THERE ARE NO MORE 4 PRONG TWIST LOCK PLUGS in North Florida and South Georgia.
We ran two 120v hots to the two power legs of where they are at the disconnect in theory giving us 240v.
The pump started and ran pressure up fast like it should. BUT. it kept running. The pressure switch did not disengage when it hit 60psi like it normally does.
Tried adding a ground wire to the same area. Same result.
Pressure switch is less that 1 year old.
What can I do to fix this. Please help this mostly broken down old Marine/Cop

Last edited:

JRC3

Reaction score
Did you run power before or after the pressure switch. Also, are you using a 240v generator or two 120v generators? Pretty sure you need a single 240v generator so each 120v leg stays in frequency.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You have to feed power BEFORE the pressure switch so that it can turn things off when the pump repressurizes the system. It sounds like you bypassed the pressure switch with how it is now connected.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
We ran two 120v hots to the two power legs of where they are at the disconnect in theory giving us 240v.

Make sure you open the main breaker so there is no way you can feed power back down the line and kill a linemen or neighbor.

It does sound like you wired it to the wrong side of the pressure switch.

Or the voltage may be low and the pump is not up to speed. Does it build above 60 ?

Good Luck.

Capt John L

Reaction score
Did you run power before or after the pressure switch. Also, are you using a 240v generator or two 120v generators? Pretty sure you need a single 240v generator so each 120v leg stays in frequency.
Using a 240v genechris@mybluelight.com. but was trying to use two separate 120v because I cannot buy a single 240v connector because everyone is doing the same thing.

BUT, update. To my suprise Clay Electric showed up first thing this morning. Awesome people.
But pressure switch still didn't work so I guess the pressure switch died when the power lines sparked. Changing it right now

JRC3

Reaction score
Sweet.

Sounds like a good time to check and set your pressure tank pressure. Always a good to have an extra switch on hand too.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A strong surge on the line can weld relay contacts together...a multimeter and the right knowledge could confirm or disprove that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks