Need unusual toilet with 20" rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I need a toilet that has the floor outlet located forward of the normal position, preferably somewhere under the front of the bowl. Does anyone know of such a toilet?

Reason: toilet cannot move due to limited space, but we need to do some structural alterations of the floor structure (joists) and there is no way to accommodate the drain at the present location.

Reach4

Reaction score
How far? 16 inches from the wall to the flange center, or much more?

How about closer to the wall, or how about within the wall?

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
As far forward as possible. 16" not enough, need at least 20".
No, can't go closer to the wall or in the wall.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Terry, I don't want the bowl further from the wall, only the outlet.

SamC

Reaction score
I realize they used gallons of water, but where was the outlet located on those old toilets with the forward facing trapway? 1957Eljer.JPG

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The same place it is today. I mean this in a nice way: give it up already. Get a Toto Unifit 14" toilet, or find a way to change the bizarre location of the flange. Maybe a real plumber (like a Terry or an HJ) could help you figure it out.

Reach4

Reaction score
So the room in front of the toilet is not sufficient to move the toilet out from the existing wall, and build a shelf unit up to the tank.

You may need a different carpenter who can do the structural support needed without interfering with where the toilet plumbing needs to be.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
You may need a different carpenter who can do the structural support

Hahaha, very funny. No, this is not a ghetto job. My structural engineer has spent a fair bit of time doing a CAD 3d model and moving things around, replaced some framing with steel beams, still not quite enough room. We have also (jokingly) considered a macerating toilet. Client wasn't amused :)

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have a floor plan, somebody may offer an idea. I wonder if rotating a toilet 90 or 180 degrees from its original direction would work.

Your fallback is to get a 14 inch rough in toilet, and build a 6 inch deep something behind.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you can't go through the structure, can you drop below it?
Sometimes I will run with a floor joist as far as I can, then drop below them if need and run sidewise to them.
The heat ducts are often done that way. In fact most of the time they are done that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks