Need toilet with more flow

Users who are viewing this thread

drkeith

Reaction score
My old toilet was replaced (I think a 5 gallon flush from 1990) with a Mansfield 1 gpf pressure assist toilet. Since then we have frequent mainline plumbing backups from our shower or washer that have required pulling the toilet and running the sewer line (3 times now)

The plumber feels the sewer line is bowed and either needs to be replaced, or we need to get a toilet with a larger volume of water per flush. We have tried limiting the amount of toilet paper and doing multiple flushes, but no luck.

Since we stopped using the toilet, no problems.

Any ideas on how to get an old toilet, or modify an available low flow?

Thanks,
Keith

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Unless you can find a 5 or 3.5 GPF toilet that is working you will have to fix the line. I hear they sell the 3.5s in Canada and you are allowed to bring them is as far as I know.

You can sometimes find them being thrown out but usually it is because they are no longer working right. Are you on a slab?

I would have someone camera the line, that also has a locator on it, so you know what and exactly where the problem is. Then you will know how to proceed. If you do this you may also find the problem will need to be taken care of reguardless of what toilet you have.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flow

The only way you are going to get more flow is to discard the pressure flush toilet and install a conventional tank type, then modify the flushing mechanism so it allows more gpf to the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks