Need toilet that (hopefully) won't clog, looking for pressure assist

Users who are viewing this thread

bbaver

Reaction score
I recently purchased a home that was built in 1921. After about a month in the home, my toilet clogged, and unfortunately, I only have one bathroom in the house. I had Water Works out. Because of how small the bathroom is, they couldn't bring in the equipment to run a camera. The plumber was able to get some equipment in and he did clear the line. He stated that the pipes takes a number of turns and that it may be susceptible to future clogs. He suggested that I buy a power assist toilet.

The toilet I have now is a Delta 1.28 pgf and assume it's an inexpensive toilet. I paid $414 (or something like that) to have Water Works clear the line, so I really don't want to go through this again.

So I am searching the internet for advise on toilets. I'm a novice with toilets/plumbing and would appreciate any help. Looking for value - not sure I can fork out $500+ but might be willing to spend $400 or a bit more.

Some more details that I've been told come into play:

--it's a 12" rough-in.
--I don't know what the water pressure level is in the house
--as mentioned above, it's a tight area
--My contractor tells me there is no clean out
--I live in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio - I see that shipping charges can be steep if buying online

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Several companies make pressure assist toilet.
Kohler has an ADA Highline model with Flushmate pressure assist,
Gerber has the Ultraflush line with Flushmate pressure assist.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The question that few people answer is whether pressure assist in a toilet really accomplishes anything beyond a couple of feet down the line.

I think not.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The question that few people answer is whether pressure assist in a toilet really accomplishes anything beyond a couple of feet down the line.

The Flushmate system does do a good job with moving things down the line. I will try to post some of my video of that taken at the Flushmate factory in Detroit.

[video=youtube_share;Rrcuvd2vV6o]http://youtu.be/Rrcuvd2vV6o[/video]

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I can't help but to wonder about the plumber and what was actually performed there.

The camera systems I have seen fit into a big suitcase.

Every house I have seen from that era had the toilet's waste arm dropping into a vertical stack. You have never said if this is a one or two story home, with or without a basement, or what floor the bath is on.

Without having seen what was done, and given your limited description, we don't know if they simply unclogged the toilet or actually rodded the sewer line out to it's connection at the street. One is a far cry from the other.

bbaver

Reaction score
I can't help but to wonder about the plumber and what was actually performed there.

Every house I have seen from that era had the toilet's waste arm dropping into a vertical stack. You have never said if this is a one or two story home, with or without a basement, or what floor the bath is on.

Without having seen what was done, and given your limited description, we don't know if they simply unclogged the toilet or actually rodded the sewer line out to it's connection at the street. One is a far cry from the other.

I'll pull the documentation tonight. I'm pretty clueless with this kind of stuff. It is a two story house, without a basement. Bathroom is on the first floor.

Thanks for your help.

bbaver

Reaction score

I'll pull the documentation tonight. I'm pretty clueless with this kind of stuff. It is a two story house, without a basement. Bathroom is on the first floor.

>>Found the documentation: He cabled the sewer line ($294 - main sewer line; toilet/Urinal Repair, minor, another $105); stoppage was scale and paper waste

Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Did the home sit for a good amount of time before you moved in?

If this were the case I would suspect that the paper/waste in your main line might have dried out and became a partial blockage. If this is the case, regular use of the system could be expected to prevent it from re-occurring.

bbaver

Reaction score
Did the home sit for a good amount of time before you moved in?

If this were the case I would suspect that the paper/waste in your main line might have dried out and became a partial blockage. If this is the case, regular use of the system could be expected to prevent it from re-occurring.

Yes….the house was foreclosed upon and I believe may have been vacant for 2 years or so.

benlinus

Reaction score
Number of companies are available in the market which play role in making assist toilet. Like Gerber has the Ultraflush line with Flushmate pressure assist,The Gerber Ultra Flush toilet comes with either the Sloan FLUSHMATE Flushometer - Tank System. High performance capability. That means it consumes less than 1.6 gallons of water per flush.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is a Flushmate video showing a 1.1 GPF toilet with 1,000 grams of bean paste with clear tubing.

[video=youtube_share;Rrcuvd2vV6o]http://youtu.be/Rrcuvd2vV6o[/video]

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks