Need to reset Pump again - 30' down in well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Broken Sockets

Reaction score
Hi All,

My well pump and pressure tank are on a platform half way down the well (about 30' down.)

I lost power yesterday and for the 4th time in a year the wife forgot to NOT turn on the water.

I now need to again go way out past the barn where the well is located, pull the cement cover with the tractor, drop a ladder down the well, and go down to hold the dang switch to get it to pressure so it runs by itself again.

Is there an alternative? If I use an air compressor to put 35 psi back pressure into the system from the house, would it work to make the pump start and get the tank to pressure without manually holding the lever? Or does it actually trip the lever and put it in the "off" position?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I dont think the air idea will work. The lever trips off.

But I would go down that hole with a NON low pressure cut out switch, replace the existing one, and install a pumptec by Franklin that will reset itself automatically on sensing low water or short cycling. [Assuming you have a well that loses water at some times]

You could also move the whole system indoors. Save the hole for tornado's.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello Broken Sockets,

You could install a pressure switch that does not have the low pressure Cut Off.

Or rig a cable to the lever, that you could pull from the top.

I don't think you would have much luck with the air compressor.

Have a great Day.

Broken Sockets

Reaction score
I will find out when I get power back tonight (hopefully tonight) if I need to go in, but I am guessing 99% chance I do.

If not, is there a simple solenoid controlled valve or something like it that I could add where the 1" line comes into the house that would close on loss of AC?

It's just a lot easier to work in the basement where I have a shutoff in front of the PEX manifold I built last year than going into the well. If I don't need to I would rather not. It's a real pain in the you-know-what.

DonL

Reaction score
There are valves that you could use, but it would have to be one that don't require water flow for their cooling.
As it would have power 24/7. But it could be done.

DonL

P.S. Broken Sockets, If you have to meet some code where you live, Then you may need a special valve.
Most of the ones I have seen are rated for Outdoor use Only, 24VAC coils.
Maybe some of the other people on the Forum know of one made to Code for what you want to do.

May be easier to make a battery operated Noise Beeper to remind your wife not to use water.
It is easy to forget, I have the same situation here also, But my switch is easy to get to.

Last edited:

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
I would definitely take out that pressure switch with the low pressure cutoff and install a regular pressure switch.

DonL

Reaction score
Hello group,

LLigetfa that is funny , "I'd make the wife go down the hole.", but it wont work around here. (Iron skillets hurt, lol)

I understand having a Low pressure Cut off is good, If your pump looses prime, so it don't burn up.

But Chris, the air compressor may make things worse if the pump does loose prime.
You would need more water to replace the air that you put in the system.

I would Move the switch to the top of the hole, If I really needed the low pressure Cut Off.

Men need to look out for the other half, If it was not for them, we would not be here.

Just my thought.

Have a great evening all.

DonL

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
I would definitely take out that pressure switch with the low pressure cutoff and install a regular pressure switch.

So would I and then I would find another way to protect the pump against running dry, if needed at all. Replacing a wife would be the most expensive route and would not be a guaranteed solution to fixing the problem.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
From the way you describe the situation, I'd just move the pressure switch to the basement or near the pressure tank (above ground). The low pressure cutoff pressure switch is a good idea as it can save the pump in the event of no water. You could consider installing a Cycle Sensor http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/products.html#cyclesensor but the low pressure cut off would be fine. If you relocate the pressure switch you may have to readjust the pressure settings a little.
If you ever replace the pump, I'd suggest going to a submersible but I'd still keep the low pressure cut off pressure switch. Submersible pumps won't lose their prime but can burn out if you pump the well dry. A low pressure cut off pressure switch will prevent that.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have never seen those switches save anything. They cause more problems than they solve and I have also seen pumps run for hours, if not days, dry with no more harm than a leaking seal, and on occassion, melted impellers.

Get rid of the switch and solve your problem.

DonL

Reaction score
I agree Texas Wellman.

It is a Pain in the rear to hold that little lever up.

I made a little wood block to hold mine on, untill it reachs the 30 pounds to keep it running.

I regreat using the low preasure cut off switch, but at the time it sounded like a good Idea.

have a great evening.

DonL.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have never seen those switches save anything. They cause more problems than they solve and I have also seen pumps run for hours, if not days, dry with no more harm than a leaking seal, and on occassion, melted impellers.

Get rid of the switch and solve your problem.

That bad switch on my booster pump has saved the 500$ pump tens of times when the 3000 gallon tank feeding it has some valve or float problem.

That same bad switch saves a submersible on a low flow well monthly when some dope leaves a hose on.

Best insurance policy for the least available. Just do not put it 20 feet down in a hole with a cement lid.

And those jet pumps did not run days dry, they cycled on and off with the thermal switch, which still allowed 5 years wear in a few days.

NOT using them is a good source of income for well guys.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Some people like Fords and some prefer Chevrolets and then there are those that don't know the difference. Low Pressure cut off Pressure Switches have their place but 30 feet down in a well is not one of them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks