Need to remove solder from copper toilet drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Absberg2k, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Absberg2k

Absberg2k New Member

I am remodeling a basement bathroom and in the process need to replace the closet flange for the toilet.

This toilet has a 3 inch copper drain below grade. There is some left over solder inside the copper drain that I need to remove before I can attach the new closet flange. I'm just not sure how to go about doing that.

I had considered using a torch to heat it up assuming it would then fall away and I would be left with a clean copper drain pipe. I am concerned though about using a torch near possible sewer gas. I cannot smell any sewer gas but understand it can be quite explosive.

Is there a safe way to heat up and/or otherwise remove the leftover solder from the copper drain pipe? Is it safe to use my Benzomatic Propane torch? Anything I should do first?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

qupte; understand it can be quite explosive.

I have never been able to get it to burn, forget about "explosion".