Need some toilets

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by P0kerMunkee, Mar 9, 2012.

1. P0kerMunkee

P0kerMunkee New Member

Adding a powder room and redoing our master bath. Never thought I would need to research buying a toilet. I should have stayed away from these forums, otherwise I would have bought a Cadet 3 at Lowes and been done with it. Now I'm obsessing over a toilet and I'm pretty sure my wife is thinking I've gone crazy!

I'm prepared to spend around $300 for our master toilet. What is the best toilet for this price range? I am wanting elongated and standard height (wife is 4'11). I have a 12" rough-in and don't want it sticking out more than 30" from the drywall due to a door that swings in front of the toilet. Don't want something that will stain easilly.

The powder room toilet needs to be as small as possible but be a good performer. Looking at a round toilet here to save as much space as possible. The Powder room is very small, 60" by 30". I see a lot of love for Toto toilets on these boards. It appears I can get them fairly cheap online. My local plumbing store sells them at Retail, which is too much $$. I would like to spend around $200 for this unit.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

More places than those listed on Toto's dealer finder carry the things, or will order them for you. Shipping toilets can be tricky - the boxes are really designed for shipping a full pallet of them. Trying to do one risks getting it broken. Now, I've done it and my experience seems to be in line with what Terry saw (and he stopped because it got too expensive) - 1/5 broken.

Some round toilets are as long as the elongated ones of other manufacturers, so do not assume a round bowl will be shorter than someone elses elongated one.

My mother has a couple of Drakes that have worked out well for her. I have a Carlyle and a Vespin, all Totos. They've served me well for a number of years. The availability of Sanagloss is nice and will help keep the toilet cleaner, but isn't a requirement. It's not available on all models and colors of Totos.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
  3. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Agree with Jim.

Do not, repeat, do not, get a mail-order toilet.

Look around for a local Toto supplier. I found one in my town and got a GREAT deal on a couple of Ultramax II's when they first came out. Even if you have to drive a bit to pick them up, say to a bigger city, you are better off.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Toto didn't get to be the largest manufacturer of toilets in the world by being hard to find. No, they are not sold in discount stores, partly because unlike American Standard, Toto destroys rejects and does not pass them off at huge discounts. They are however, off frequently sold for much less than MSRP. Most plumbing shops can order them for you, but many models are stocked. You might want to look at the size specs on Terry's web site linked above. Those swinging door sure do cause problems for small bathrooms though.