Need some tips on screw selection for closet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Bromel

Reaction score
I am replacing my bathroom's tile floor and will be screwing down a new closet flange. From what I've read online, the best screws to use for this are stainless steel. But I checked at Lowes and Home Depot, and they don't carry stainless steel screws big enough to screw down a closet flange. However, they did have some nice big #14 x 3" brass screws that fit perfectly into the flange screw holes. I am just wondering about their strength and rust resistance. Will the brass screws do just fine? Or should I shop more for stainless steel screws?

Also, does anyone have experience trying to drill screw holes in 3/8" thick porcelain tiles? I've been told to either cut out slots for the screws before installing the tile, or to buy a tile bit to drill the holes.

Thanks in advance for your tips. I Love this site (pardon the pun!).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Brass won't rust, but it isn't as strong as stainless steel. Go to a "real" hardware store, stainless steel screws may not be a big mover at HD and Lowes, but a complete hardware store will have them.

Bromel

Reaction score
I already bought the brass screws -----

Since I already bought the brass screws, I'm wondering if they will be OK. How do the brass screws compare to stainless steel? Is the brass screw 90% as good as stainless steel? Are there people out there using brass screws regularly to attach a closet flange?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The brass screws should be fine. Some porcelain tile are nearly as hard as diamond, so many drill bits just won't touch it - that is why notching the tile prior to install is often worth the effort. The best thing to drill them is a diamond bit. I did get a carbide bit to drill through some porcelain, but the bit was shot by the time I finished, and it took about 10-minutes per hole - a real pain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks