Need some help removing a Shower Drain Flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

bjornbjorn

Reaction score
My basement shower was leaking through the walls and I noticed that water was getting in through the side of the drain, there was a crack in the side. The whole bathroom was wet so I stopped using it. How on earth do I get the drain flange out of this shower????

Also, my shower stall is one solid piece of fiberglass the floor is the same piece as the sides. One last thing, when I step on the flooring you can see there is water beneath the shower where its not supposed to be, how would I go about drying this out????

Any help is much appreciated

Shower Drain (1).JPG

Shower Drain (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The shower drain is commonly held onto the pan with a giant nut that is installed from the bottom before the shower is set into place.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
How about cutting the shower pan up into small pieces and removing as much of the pan as you can up to the shower drain connection, where you will then be able to remove the nut or cut it out. I think at this point you need to remove the entire pan and dry out everything. I think an "oscillating multi-tool or a right-angle grinder with a flexovit disk http://www.flexovitabrasives.com/ will cut it up easily and quickly.
How is the pan sealed to the wall tiles or fiberglass?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I assume the shower is on a concrete floor, in which case, you CANNOT get the drain fitting out. You have to remove the shower unit and probably replace it with a new one if you are going to that much trouble.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That was my thought too, the only way to install a new drain is to take the shower apart. The new drain will have a new nut to secure it to the pan, but is has to be done from the bottom side of the pan.

shower-drain-remove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks