Need Some Help Please: Control Valve Doesn't Shut Off Brine Tank Refill

Users who are viewing this thread

Biddle

Reaction score
While trying to determine why my Fleck 2510 control valve won't suck brine from the brine tank, I discovered that the brine tank refill line flows continuously. If it wasn't for the safety overflow cut-off in the brine tank, my basement would be a swimming pool. I disconnected the brine tank refill line from the brine tank and hung the line in a 5-gallon pail. I manually moved the Fleck control value timer through the backwash, brine & slow rinse, rapid rinse, and brine tank refill regeneration cycles. In every cycle except the brine & slow rinse cycle, water flowed from the brine tank refill line into the pail. Water continued to flow from the the brine tank refill line even after the timer reached the shut off for the regeneration. I would greatly appreciate any advise on how to resolve this problem. Thanks for all your help.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
You will need to put the unit into bypass and then start a cycle so that the pressure drops to 0 and then clean the brine piston.
If it is plastic then it is the 1650 brine system and the brine valve stem is slow to close or there is some thing on the rubber seal at its base.

Also make sure that there is nothing plugging the drain line, if some thing is plugging it then water will go to the brine tank in EVERY part of the cleaning cycle.

There also might be some thing up with the main piston and the seals and spacers, but check the drain line and the brine piston ..

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Manually cycle the unit and watch to see if the brine valve opens and closes. If it does, the brine valve seat or the brine valve oring is bad. If the brine valve stays open, replace it. Does the unit draw brine?

Biddle

Reaction score
Thanks Akpsdvan and mialynette2003 for your response.

Akpsdvan: Your message says "the 1650 brine system and brine valve stem is slow to close or there is something on the rubber seal at its base". Why does being a 1650 brine system make it slow to close and have something on the rubber seal? Did you mean to say that or leave some words out? What is a "1650 brine system"? How do I clean the brine piston-wipe it with a wet paper towel? Do you think it might be sticking? There is nothing plugging the drain. The drain line is shared with another water softener that works fine.

mialynette2003: You asked if the unit draws brine. No, it does not. That was the problem I was trouble shooting when I discovered that water flows continuously from the brine refill line.

Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks