Need some guidance on making a fence design a reality

Users who are viewing this thread

tigre

Designer
Reaction score
Website
ecologyartisans.com
Hey all! We've got a client who has a front wall that we've partially completed, and we're trying to get a better handle on the rest of it.

Issue I'm running into is how to best attach the wood posts to the lower concrete stem wall. I was looking at some of the StrongTie options like CPT66Z, CBSQ66-SDS2, or CB66. The heights of the non-gate posts are at a max 2'10" off the top of the stem wall, so not too worried about heavy loads on that portion.

The part I am concerned about is the entrance gate.

Here is the current stem wall made of cement block (8x8) wall 24"-40" high on a 1' deep by 2' wide reinforced concrete footer as it is now:

17706969102_0bdc94608d_k.jpg
17709507985_21cabe683d_k.jpg
17521481908_92693c21d3_h.jpg

We'll be adding in a 4" thick poured concrete path and entrance so we still have the ability to sink any of the post footers into that and cast in place. We'll also be filling the stem wall cavities at that time.

Once posts/post plates are set, then we need to cover the block wall in a stone webwall veneer which will add about 1"-1.5" of thickness.

The initial thought was to ink 1-7/8" galvanized posts into the ends and then cap those with 2x4s to conceal them. But I don't like the thought of that or the end product. Also, we haven't seen it done previously and don't know the best way to cap or attach them to give the support that we need. Solid 6x6s sound much more easy to install and build out.

Here is my current working diagram showing the final vision:

stone-front-wall-06142015-_1.jpg

stone-front-wall-06142015-_2.jpg

xray.jpg

I set two options for the post base (left = CBS, right = CPT) both in 6x6 posts. I didn't draw them, but we'd be lag bolting the gate posts to the cinder block (CMU) wall inside the web wall veneer for added support.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks