need some garden tub plug removal help

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by just another fella, Dec 8, 2008.

1. just another fella

just another fella New Member

I travel for work alot, and just got home for the holidays. I found we have drain flies coming out of my wifes garden tub. I'm attempting to remove the drain stopper assembly so I can clean the drain out properly (lotsa hair keeping it from draining properly), and here's where you folks come in...

I unscrewed the top plug cap assembly, and found underneath it a brass piece which has a slot in the head maybe 3/4" diameter (assuming for removal) which is surrounded by a plastic tube which locks and unlocks the drain cap. How easy is the brass piece supposed to scew out? I haven't buggered up the slot in the head beyond use, but may get that way soon if I don't get some help. :D

Thanks in advance fellas! :cool:
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

How about a picture so we know what you are talking about.
  3. just another fella

Gimme a coulple minutes...
  4. just another fella

This is with the surrounding plastic piece down. (It goes up maybe 1/2" or so).

[​IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

That is part of the toe tap stopper. It should unscrew.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tub

Do you really use the tub? If so you may be the only person I have ever found that had a garden tub and used it for something besides a planter. If not, the trap dried up and you have to pour water down the drain every couple of weeks to keep the flies out.