Need Some Advice (help) with a garbage disposal replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Martin F., Apr 19, 2009.

1. Martin F.

Martin F. New Member

Admin / moderators...please remove this thread from the forums...

Thank you
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Many places require an air GAP for the DW. If yours has the hose hooked like shown, you have a problem! You need to at LEAST, run the hose in a loop as high as you can get it under the countertop before coming back down to the GD inlet. Also, make sure that you knocked the plug out of the GD on the DW inlet, or it will make a major mess! As it is now, instead of draining to the sewer, when running the GD, you could be pumping waste back into the DW. A high loop will help, but not eliminate that. An air gap will elminate that issue. The lack of an air gap will not affect the sink draining, though.

If the water doesn't have to go up to get to the drain, it should not back up. If the new GD has its outlet lower than the old one, you may need to redo more. A picture would be more revealing than your drawing.
  3. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

A lot has to do with what state you live in. If you are in Illinois, you cannot discharge the dishwasher into the garbage disposal at all. Also Illinois requires the disposal to be trapped separately from the other compartment of the sink.

So to get advice that will be code relevant it would be helpful to know what city and state you are in.
  4. SewerRatz

Well the trap set up is wrong. a P-trap only uses one U-bend hooked up to the quarter bend, no other pipe is supposed be between the two fittings. The discharge pipe from the dishwasher needs to be looped as high as the counter top then into the disposal. The disposal not draining means there is a blockage in the unit or up to the center waste tee you have there since you said it does not come up the other side. Below is how the p-trap should look properly assembled.

[​IMG]
  5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

What you have there is an illegal S-trap.

Garbage Disposals normally come with a knock-out plug in the DW inlet.

The exposed Romex wire running to the appliance is also a code violation.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

One way to make that work better is to get a longer tailpiece from the t connecting the two sink drains so that the outlet of the trap could go straight into the wall.

GD have a metal knockout the prevents leaks out that port if you don't have a DW attached. It may not be a full, complete seal, but the pressure from the DW will give it grief if you don't knock that plug, or knockout from the base of that fitting. It would clog up with crud and slow the draining of the DW.
  7. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Does not make any sense that the disposal will not drain but the DW has no problem draining. The knockout plug is surely still in place and there is a blockage somewhere downstream of the disposer.

A highloop is not required under the sink if the DW has a high loop integrated on it like an Asko or Maytag do. I think KitchenAid also includes a highloop on their units.
  8. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

There is a baffle in the tee and it may be clogged enough for your D/W to drain
    but not the desposer with the solids.
  9. kingsotall

Oh, OK I get it now. Misunderstood the sentence where DW drains fine but GD doesn't. So have you took the pipes apart under the sink¿ I know you're not a plumber and all but I swear nothing's gonna bite you when you do! lol

btw, an attitude of, "Code who needs code¿ I'll tell you what you can do with your code!" gets you nowhere real fast on this forum. I know, an annoyed wife is a real bear but please breathe deep and we'll get you through this, buddy. :cool:
  10. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Just trying to help.
  11. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Okay now your D/W drains but not the desposer is that what the problem is?
    And is it a new desposer I have seen these things act funny no matter how it is
    plumbed.
  12. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Okay what I see is a clogged sink drain that needs to be snaked and if the t where the disposer and the other sink drain come together has no baffle it needs replacing as well as the s-trap.
  13. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Okay then that is your problem.
    When the disposer doesn't turn it rapidly clogs up.
    The dishwasher pumps into the disposer so it doesn't drain and just fills the sink.
    The non baffle tee needs to be replaced with a baffle tee and the s-trap needs to be fixed.

Sorry if I missed one of the points in your long winded disertation.
  14. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I thought your new one was already installed.
    The airgap may or, may not be require check with your local building inspector.
  15. kingsotall

Building inspector¿ Redwood, are you trying to spook the herd¿
  16. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

The baffle tee would be like this...

[​IMG]

Only yours is a slightly different configuration.

Yours would be called a continious waste center outlet baffle tee.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  17. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Replace The despsoser problem solved.
  18. kingsotall

I use tools tools all day long but Martin F. is one tool that would best be left to the painters! :D

Spell check¿ The pot calling the kettle black if I ever seen one.
  19. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Whadda Bloomin Idiot!:eek:

I found his website that included this picture of him painting a pool...:D
    The things blood rushing to your head and paint fumes all day long may accomplish...

[​IMG]

I say leave this thread as a sticky on top as a tribute to his stupidity with his deleted comments restored by the moderator...
    The world needs to know what a bonehead Martin F. is...
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  20. SewerRatz

Ok so what prompted this guy to delete his posts? What did I miss while I was half out of my whits due to this damn head cold.