Need Shop Vac help

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by ho333ard, Mar 23, 2006.

1. ho333ard

ho333ard New Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Sorry, can't find a more appropriate place to ask this.
    I bought a 2.5 hp 6-gallon Shop Vac recently and I'm having a hard time finding info on what sort of filtration to use.
    I opened it to discover the paper disc had fallen off and the foam sleeve was filhy beyond salvage . . . would rather just go with collection bags or a filter cartridge (I took great care to put the sleeve on properly-- it's just a PITA system if ya ask me).
    Can I use just the bags with nothing else? Or just the cartridge? Or can I/should I/must I use them together? Would also appreciate a tip on where best to buy.
    Thanks for any advice.
  2. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

Oct 20, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I bought Shop Vac filters and bags at Walmart a couple of years ago.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. prashster

prashster New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    It depends what you're vaccuuming.
    If you are doing serious woodworking, then it's worth it (for your health and marital peace) to get a real dust collection machine.

But in a pinch, shop vacs make good substitute.

I'd invest in a HEPA cylindrical filter. It'll catch most fine particulates like saw dust.

I'd also invest in a drywall dust bag. Drywall dust and cement dust are an order of magnitude more fine than saw dust and a real pain to capture with conventional filters.
  5. ho333ard

ho333ard New Member

Feb 14, 2006
    I think I solved the current crisis.
    I ordered a filter and "drywall bags" that are described to be used together from, and some regular bags.
    I don't use this thing that often and intend to use this combo basically for everything . . . the first bag in my "big" shop vac has lasted 3 years without being even half full.