Need seriouse help with my diverter valve trim

Users who are viewing this thread

boardable

Reaction score
Ok so here is the deal. Got a delta diverter valve with trim. When I installed with the kerdi the only mixing valve seal available was the standard 4 inch. but the trim ring for the diverter valve is smaller. I need a larger trim to cover it preferably one that is 5.5 " Any ideas.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Kerdi is waterproof as long as you get at least 2" overlap and properly embed it in the thinset. KerdiFix is a urethane sealant. The combination of the two should give you a good seal, just apply a patch (use KerdiBand for less buildup if you prefer). Also, keep in mind that most trim rings also have a gasket to keep water out. Only if you're dealing with a steam shower is it imperative to seal around the valve really tight.

boardable

Reaction score
Jad, that is all done. I used the mixing valve seal which is a seal that you put on that basically insures any water that leaks in comes back out and never gets behind the wall. It is a essential part of the kerdi system. That is why the hole is so big. So to simplify it let's just say the hole is too big so I need a bigger etscutcheon. But diverter valves take a very flat one.

boardable

Reaction score
The model is the delta linden. But I looked at all the delta valve trims just to see if I could get a repair part and none will fit. I even paid a extra 40 bucks and ordered the vintage look trim to take up more room and still there is a little gap to be seen.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The opening would probably be too large and you would have "screw holes" to deal with. If it is chrome, and depending on the diameter of the valve, you might try a Pfister Pfaucet ring, because it attaches in the same manner.

boardable

Reaction score
Update. So last night I took the pfister trim off of my bath tub and the trim fits with the delta pieces. I will now call Kerdi to ask them why they don't make a diverter trim seal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I said earlier, if you don't have a 'right-sized' seal, Kerdi and some KerdiFix works wonders. It would be impossible to produce seals for every diameter required for everyone's valve assemblies. Also, unless it's a steam shower, the seal on the trim is usually more than enough to keep water out of the wall.

boardable

Reaction score
Yes but I see only small diverter trim not large diverter trim. Just goes along with my complaints of no 45 degree kerdi corners LOL.

Sean Noyce

Reaction score
Yes but I see only small diverter trim not large diverter trim. Just goes along with my complaints of no 45 degree kerdi corners LOL.

Ok so here is the deal. Got a delta diverter valve with trim. When I installed with the kerdi the only mixing valve seal available was the standard 4 inch. but the trim ring for the diverter valve is smaller. I need a larger trim to cover it preferably one that is 5.5 " Any ideas.

Cheers Boardable and all - I realize this is reviving a 5 year old thread, but as I ran into the same problem myself this morning, searched, found this thread AND discovered the Schluter STILL hasn't produced a 3" radius version of their 4 1/2 inch Kerdi Seal-MV ... I thought I might share the 'fix' I came up with for those that follow and find themselves in the same pickle.

I simply took the 4.5" seal and cut it down to accommodate a 3" diverter - removed the attached membrane and built it back up with Kerdi-Band. Mortared the interior and exterior rubber to hold it secure, layered the band - viola! With this process, you can get it pretty custom.

Yes - I'll be throwing up another patch horizontally to get the 2" overlap - but I want the first layers to cure before that - and I'll throw a little Kerdi-Fix on the seam inside before a I lay the tile.

I hope this helps someone down the road ...

IMG_5631.JPG
IMG_5632.JPG
IMG_5633.JPG
IMG_5634.JPG
IMG_5635.JPG
IMG_5637.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks