Need recommendation: Underground splice kit, 2 AWG, aluminum wire

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck Shaughnessy

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend the best underground splice it - for 2 AWG aluminum wire. I want a really good one so I don't have to do this again!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
heat shrink first then wrap with rubber tape then wrap with #33 scotch brand electric tape then scotch coat or liquid tape.
Have not had one fail in 12 years.

Attachments

• splice.jpg
    splice.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 541

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you're going to go the heat shrink tubing route, you want some that has heat-activated adhesive on the inside to make the seal, not just 'regular' heat shrink tubing, as it will leak much more easily. At least a few companies make a waterproof tube with compression seals at each end filled with goop. With those, you can use wire nuts or clamps to make your connection, then this fits over it. They are not inexpensive, but are engineered to work. You'll probably want to cut out the corroded part, and unless you have some slack, you'll be splicing in a new section, so you'll need at least two of them, and maybe a third for the neutral and maybe even a forth for the ground wire. You can probably find what you need at a local electrical supply shop, but here's one that should work

http://www.walmart.com/ip/IDEAL-46-...316092&tmode=0000&veh=cse&sdc_id=964849408534

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks