Need quick toilet water supply advice

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by chassis, Jan 4, 2006.

1. chassis

chassis Engineer

I just installed a toilet after putting in a new tile floor. Everything is good but I can't get rid of a leak at the 3/8" compression fitting for the water supply. The leak is between the tubing and ferrule, or ferrule and nut. The threads to the water valve are not leaking.

I did egg the tubing a little when I was bending it to fit, but I figured the compression ferrule would squish everything together. Seems like that isn't happening.

How tight should I tighten this little 3/8" nut? I've already tightened pretty tight, don't want to bust the threads on the water valve. The leak is not spraying, it's weeping or seeping.

Thanks for any advice on this.
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Go to a big box store and get a flexable braded stainless steel supply line and replace what you have.
  3. chassis

chassis Engineer

Cass,

Thanks for the reply. Forgot to mention the run is only 5". I'll look, but I didn't think there were any that short.
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

They are flexable and you can make a circle with it if needed get a 12" and a 20" and use which ever one works best.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

flex

Turn the valve sideways towards the center of the toilet, and then "S" bend the flexible supply behind the toilet and up to the valve.
  6. chassis

chassis Engineer

Thanks alot for the help folks. I think the main problem was I bunged up the tubing the first time. I re-did the tubing, and used tape in the threads and paste in the compression sleeve. Worked like a champ.
  7. Cass

Cass Plumber

Check it for the next few days for leaks