Need Opinion on a Soldered Joint

Users who are viewing this thread

WhatsNext

Reaction score
My association recently did a partial repipe, replacing polybutylene. I would like opinions on a soldered joint that doesn't look right, because one pipe is coming into the fitting at an angle, and doesn't appear to go into the fitting very far. It doesn't leak, but I'm concerned about it lasting.

MasterCrookedJoint.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I couldn't walk away from that and still sleep at night. Might last a hundred years, though, with that ten dollars worth of solder on it.
Oh, I'm not going to court with you; forget it.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Don't they have Tubing benders anymore ?

The angle of the dangle is important.

Looks like the solder flowed.

Have Fun.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I looks to me they could have used a couple of street ells and a short pipe and made a square jog. I wouldn't trust that mess in the first place, and even if it held, it's ugly hack work.

DonL

Reaction score
It will be OK.

If it starts leaking you can put JB Weld Water Seal on it. Good Stuff, clean the flux off first. lol

How did it ever pass inspection ?

WhatsNext

Reaction score
It will be OK.

If it starts leaking you can put JB Weld Water Seal on it. Good Stuff, clean the flux off first. lol

How did it ever pass inspection ?

The association comes by to see if it's leaking. If it isn't, then it passes inspection.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The "association" is not a plumbing inspector. And, not to start a war, but JB Weld is not plumbing repair product. It is simply an epoxy.

DonL

Reaction score
The "association" is not a plumbing inspector. And, not to start a war, but JB Weld is not plumbing repair product. It is simply an epoxy.

For what people pay for them they need a Good Inspector.

You are right about JB, but it has got my tit out of the ringer a time or two.

Never did work on that old Ford Block like they claimed. Guess I did not let it dry long enough. lol

I think the new plumbers seal comes in a spray can. Buy on TV now, get 1 free, just pay the $19.00 additional shipping. Do not even have to turn the water off to use it. It must be great.

Have Fun.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to make my comment about the "association"not being a plumbing inspector, please understand that electrical, plumbing, and building inspectors are government officials that are highly experienced in their particular areas and are there to verify that construction and repairs are done by the specific code the work falls under. The condo association has no authority to determine this. I think I can state with certainty that the solder job on that joint would not pass. Most condo associations require a licensed contractor to do any plumbing work and then it would be required to have real inspection. Having the landlord or association president OK the work just doesn't make sense.

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Poor craftsmanship. On the left side of the photo my guess would be that the pipe only enters the fitting about 1/4" or just shy of a 1/4". It will wear and fail. I would let the association know that it is a flood risk when the pipe separates. Good eye on catching the bad work. If you were to get a piece of 1/2" copper and a 1/2" coupling and duplicate the appearance of the angle then mark where the pipe and coupling meet with a pencil or marker, you would be able to see how poor the connection is and how much solder is holding it together. They spent some money for the repipe and may pay more in the future for a leak.

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Awesome. Like I said, good catch and smart move looking for an outside opinion on the matter through this forum.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks