Need O-Ring for Kohler Kitchen Sink Strainer/stopper - Where to buy?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DrToonz, Oct 7, 2011.

1. DrToonz

DrToonz New Member

I'm trying to find an o-ring for a Kohler sink stopper/strainer. Kitchen sink. It's for the stopper where the stopper falls into the drain to stop the drain. Any ideas? Tons of O-rings available online at parts places, but I don't know which one to buy!
    Thanks.
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Take the strainer with you to your nearest hardware and find the one it fits.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Why would you even consider buying a $.50 item over the Internet, with the attendent possibity that it would be wrong one and have to return it, when a trip to the local hardware store with the drain or old "O" ring in hand would get you back in business in a matter of a few minutes?
  5. mhornbeck

mhornbeck New Member

After doing some serious research on line and trying numerous places to find this little o-ring, I hit the mother-load. Local hardware store, Home Depot and Lowe's do not stock this part. They say it's too specialized. I found a few on-line for $1.10 each, but SHIPPING WAS $13!!! It's the principal of the thing.

The ring measures 1 5/8" ID x 1 3/4" OD x 1/16 wall. I found a package of 25 for $1.80 at Orings and More oringsandmore@verizon.net and shipping was only $2.40!!

Not bad for a woman, huh? Hope this helps. It was making me crazy, for such a mundane item to be so illusive.

Mikie
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The next time I am in a hardware store, I am going to check their "O" rings, because I cannot believe they did NOT have that one, because it is NOT that specialized.
  7. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

IMHO, one can never have too many O-rings so I routinely restock my assortment by purchasing a variety of sizes. I also use them as elastic bands. My wife's handbags have O-rings on the strap to keep the loop under control. She even uses an O-ring as a discrete belt loop. Better than duck tape!