Need new water softener recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

John15

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new here and have been reading and trying to sort things out. Unfortunately, I'm not really clear on which water softener I need to replace the old Kenmore. I did have our water tested by Kar Labs. According to the results we have really hard water.

The basics (let me know what other info is needed):
We are a family of 6-7 (one son is in college so is only home Summer months; 2 other sons will probably be
leaving home soon, as they are adults)
We have livestock and use about 100 gallons a day for them (we would like to bypass the softener for them)
Test results:
Hardness 260 mg/L (as CaCO3)
Hardness (gpg) 15.2
Iron <0.01 mg/L
Manganese 0.016 mg/L

There is a bunch of other test results, but I think those are the pertinent ones? We have a front load washer to save water and we take short showers. So, I would guess we use around 60 gallons per person, per day. We had a Kenmore softener that was given to us brand new. It did okay for 12 years, although it was cycling every 3-4 days. Last month it wasn't softening and random water would taste terrible, like a metallic salt. So we disconnected the softener. We have great tasting well water that is spring fed but it is so hard I feel like my skin is being rubbed off in the shower. Our dishes are now all cloudy and we're worried about the appliances, pipes, etc. I doubt we can live without a softener for long.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
John

Reach4

Reaction score
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/sizing.php suggests a 3 cuft softener. That could be a 14 x 65 inch tank. The softener you want would be advertised as a 96000 grain softener.

The Fleck 5600SXT controller is still available and has not been end-of-lifed, and it has plenty of throughput as a softener. The 7000 is higher capacity but will be end of lifed in September, after which parts will be available for at least 5 years. 5600SXT That would be sufficient for 5 to 7 gallons per minute of use.

Click Inbox.

John15

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your information, Reach4. I am looking into all of it now. It sure is a lot more complicated than I thought. I never imagined we'd need such a large unit. It's good to have clear information, though.

Thanks again,
John15

Reach4

Reaction score
The water is only moderately hard from my view, since there are those with much harder water. Others would indeed consider your water very hard. You go through a lot of water in a week. If you bought a smaller unit, you would have to regenerate more frequently. Since you regenerate only at night, the softener has to regenerate each night if there is not a full day of capacity remaining. If you had a 1.5 cubic ft system, it might regenerated every 3 days (with half as much salt) instead of 7 days, so monthly salt use would be somewhat higher with the smaller softener. Depending where you are at, good salt pellets might be under $5 for a 40 pound bag. At 8 pounds per cubic ft of resin, you would take 24 pounds of salt to regenerate 3 cubic ft of resin. At 6 pounds per cuft, you would take correspondingly less. So if you considered the big family presence temporary, you could opt for a smaller softener. a 1.5 cubic ft softener is still bigger than your Kenmore was. A 2-tank system can regenerate any time, so it could actually use less resin total. However it has a more complex controller and would take more floor space. It is salt-efficient.

With your unchlorinated well water, you would not be considering the premium 10% crosslinked resin.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks