Need new softener design. Take a look! NSFW

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
What if you have sulfur AND chlorine?
If you mean that you are adding chlorine and still have a 'sulfur' smell, you don't have enough chlorine to oxidize all the H2S. If you mean you have city water and it is chlorinated,.. and you have a 'sulfur' smell, you may have a contaminated faucet tip or an odor in your water heater and you should increase the temp to 140f for an hour or two and then reduce to whatever it is now.

pho

Reaction score
Hi Byteme,
It is my turn to contribute to your thread...
When we bough our lake house 20 years ago, it has well water which is very hard and smell sulfur badly. If you spray it with a hose sprayer, you could smell the odor and 'see' the gas. The previous owner has a genius system which is made of a 600 gallon fiberglass holding tank and a tower ( look like a 300 gallon propane tank in upward position) The well water is pumped into a 5' tall 2' wide fiberglass tower with lot of ribs inside. 12" above the tower bottom, there is a 1/4hp hi speed blower blowing the air upward. After hitting the ribs and blown with air, the water drop into the tank in tiny droplets while gas is forced out of the water. The combination of the tower/blower, water sitting in the cistern for a day and chlorine injection help alleviate the sulfur smell.
5 year later, I install a lake pump and the water is much better.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
If you mean that you are adding chlorine and still have a 'sulfur' smell, you don't have enough chlorine to oxidize all the H2S. If you mean you have city water and it is chlorinated,.. and you have a 'sulfur' smell, you may have a contaminated faucet tip or an odor in your water heater and you should increase the temp to 140f for an hour or two and then reduce to whatever it is now.

Thanks Gary, you confirmed my thinking.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
With chlorine, you would use KDF55. With sulfur it's KDF85. I used 85 years ago and was not impressed.
KDF85 works fairly well, but agreed, there are better solutions. In order to use KDF85 and have it work, you would typically need a lot more than people are willing to pay for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks