Tot. diss. solids, estimated 210 mg/L

older 2 full bathroom house with 3 adults - no high flow water fixtures

Need suggestions on filtration;

Thinking; Katalox lite backwashing filter for SULFER
and a ~2 cuft softener for the Magnesium and Hardness

You?

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the hot water have a sulfur smell? Cold water? This is city water, right?

I don't see the motivation for KL. For a hot water H2S smell, there would be a different action I think.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Well water. Yes the water smells when you first turn it on (so I am told).

Bannerman

Reaction score
Magnesium should already be included within the hardness calculation.

The Silica level could be a problem.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Agreed, oxidant injection may be needed, but... It can be added later if needed. Katalox Light, softener optional. 6 Grains is not too bad. Silica level, not much you can do about it.

Reach4

Reaction score
might need an oxidant injection at that sulfur level.
I see "Sulfur, total, by ICP 7.5 mg/L"
Are you saying that is an action level number? Are you saying that is hard to treat? My Centaur Carbon filter deals with my 43.6 sulfur ICP very effectively and has no air or chemical injection.

I expect a powered softener anode plus a well sanitizing alone would get rid of smells, and you want a well sanitizing anyway.

On the other hand, if the well produces hydrogen sulfide, the KL would be good. Few water tests test for H2S. The nose knows, but if the H2S is not smellable from the outside faucets, I would think the H2S may being produced in the water heater.

Last edited:

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Anyone care to quote me a 2 cuft katalox lite system plus a 1-1.5 cuft softener plus a undersink RO unit with permeate pump?

I think that should work.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I sold a 5 CF & 1 CF Katalox Lite system upon request. I recommended chlorine injection for the sulfur smell. Within 6 months the smell was back in both locations. The customer went to rebed the 1 CF and told me the media was like cement. I don't know if others have had this happen, but I'm not impressed with the "new media". I'ld be glad to quote the system. What valve would you prefer?

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
I like clack WS 1.25 or Fleck 7000 valves.

Would chlorine injection need a holding tank?

Last edited:

_John_

Reaction score
I sold a 5 CF & 1 CF Katalox Lite system upon request. I recommended chlorine injection for the sulfur smell. Within 6 months the smell was back in both locations. The customer went to rebed the 1 CF and told me the media was like cement. I don't know if others have had this happen, but I'm not impressed with the "new media". I'ld be glad to quote the system. What valve would you prefer?
I put a 2 cu. ft. KL unit on a job that was about 7ppm H2S, and it left about 0.5 ppm when their chlorinator quit working. It has worked great for me on less than 2 ppm sulfur and up to 5 ppm iron though (usually the ceiling on what we see in my area).

Reach4

Reaction score
I put a 2 cu. ft. KL unit on a job that was about 7ppm H2S, and it left about 0.5 ppm when their chlorinator quit working. It has worked great for me on less than 2 ppm sulfur and up to 5 ppm iron though (usually the ceiling on what we see in my area).
Chlorinator is for the feed water and not just for backwash, right?

How do you quantify H2S-- local lab?

Have you tried Centaur Carbon for H2S?

_John_

Reaction score
Chlorinator is for the feed water and not just for backwash, right?

How do you quantify H2S-- local lab?

Have you tried Centaur Carbon for H2S?
I used a small test kit (name and number escapes me, but it's not the Hach "alkaseltzer" test).

I have not used centaur carbon, and yes the feed water was chlorinated there. We have done jobs with jacobi carbon though, but none without an injection ahead of the system.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like clack WS 1.25 or Fleck 7000 valves.

Would chlorine injection need a holding tank?
It depends on the size of the pressure tank. It is best to use a retention tank and flow switch to keep the chlorine from damaging the bladder in the pressure tank. I always recommend chloration because it kills bacteria as well as oxidizing iron & sulfur. Let me know which way you would like to go.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
I am starting to think a chloration injection/ retention tank/ carbon removal system would be the way to go.

My reasoning is, the chlorine system is guaranted to work, a katalox lite might not 100%.

It looks like costs would be similar (yes?)

Another option; would this be a good case for a media guard with kdf85?

Last edited:

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Another question, why would chlorine damage a pressure tank bladder?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am starting to think a chloration injection/ retention tank/ carbon removal system would be the way to go.

My reasoning is, the chlorine system is guaranted to work, a katalox lite might not 100%.

It looks like costs would be similar (yes?)

Another option; would this be a good case for a media guard with kdf85?
With chlorine, you would use KDF55. With sulfur it's KDF85. I used 85 years ago and was not impressed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks