Need new softener advice

Users who are viewing this thread

_John_

Reaction score
Goofy question to hijack this thread.

Is the CEC of clinoptilite still available when coated with 10% MnO2?

I know the media is up to 5% Ca(OH)2 (hydrated lime) and roughly 10% MnO2.

So in 60 lbs of Katalox (I did these calculations based off 1 cu ft before I remembered it's actually 66 lbs/cu ft) thats a little less than 23 kg of Clinoptilole.

With pure clino having a cation exchange capacity of 175 milliequivalents per 100g of clino (wang and Dixon, 1987)I get about 4700 (forgot Ca is divalent in my earlier number) grains of potential grain capacity assuming all Ca2+ hardness. Could you theoretically regenerate that with salt and have a VERY inefficient softener/Fe/Mn/sulfur filter all in one?

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
LOL, no we are not talking about "The most advanced well water system ever designed!!!" LOL. Sorry but any marketing that reads like that...

As to Johns question, I don't have definitive results yet, but their is exchange capacity due to the clinoptololite base but I have not done my capacity calculations yet. Too many other projects on the test bench at the moment. I will try to have the actual capacity calcs done in a few months and I will let you know what I find.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks