Need new hot water heater - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by kissiffer4, Mar 15, 2011.

1. kissiffer4

kissiffer4 New Member

Hi,

I need to have our current h/w heater replaced. It is a 40 gallon AO Smith gas heater. A plumber suggested a 50 gallon high recovery h/w heater, but didn't suggest a brand. Any suggestions?

He also quoted $2,000 (incl. tax) for the installation (incl. his purchase of a h/w heater). I am in NYC so I know prices are typically higher. Is it considered OK to ask what brand and model he intends to purchase?

Thanks all.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You should know what he's intending to install.
    I mainly install Bradford White and Rheem heaters.

Since most of my work is in and around Seattle and it's Eastside, I've been in the $900 plus tax range for a gas water heater installed.
    But I know what it's like to move around NYC; I couldn't install them for the same price.
  3. kissiffer4

kissiffer4 New Member

Thanks for the reply Terry. Quick question. Do you know if it must be done by a licensed plumber? (I had a handyman who has installed a lot of these in the past quote me $1,000 for the job). Obviously, I would rather go with the plumber, that the 1k in price difference is pretty huge.

Cheers.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Technically, you probably are required to get a permit and that typically requires a licensed plumber (and adds to the costs). This does two things (all things being equal), helps to ensure it is done properly and gives you a second set of eyes to verify that. Now, your results may differ?! Lots of WH are installed without a permit and inspection, but some of them have problems, and it can cost you a bunch if for some reason you get caught (nosy neighbor?).
  5. SacCity

SacCity In the Trades

The company that I work for typically charges $1200 for a water heater change out. That includes everything, water heater, permit, inspections

A few weeks one of our employees changed out a water heater as side job, client did not want to pay the cost, and so the employee did it as a side job for $100 plus materials.
    A gas leak and a small explosion and the company is currently being sued by the client for a job that they recieved no money on. Needless to say the employee is no longer works there.

Be careful of the discounts, without the contractors license the risk are yours to take.

Michael
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; A gas leak and a small explosion and the company is currently being sued by the client for a job that they recieved no money on.

Usually the employee tries to "convert" it to a company job after there is a problem. The company should have ZERO liability, since the customer obviously knew the job was NOT being done legitimately, and should not have had a company invoice. The installer may not work for the company, but its insurance company, if they have to pay the damages, WILL try to get the money back from the installer.
  7. SacCity

SacCity In the Trades

It's California and we can sue for anything, being able to win is another.
    My assumption is that it is cheaper to try and resolve the issue than to fight it.

THe owner is very careful with his license and trys to avoid issues,
  8. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

I've always wondered what the difference is between a "water heater" and a "hot water heater" ... does one of them produce hotter water? :D
  9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If the water from the ground was hot, there would be no reason for a heater.
    We call them "water" heaters.